2 Pumps, one pipe?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If I wanted to use 2 pumps for one waterfall both located in the same spot would I run 2 separate lines or tie them into one line? How does this affect head loss?

Details...

I have a hydrive 4800 (5100gph @250 watts). It will sit 3 ft below ground level but under at least 1 ft of water (2ft head), run 20 ft horizontally (2ft) and 3ft high to the waterfall box (3ft) for a total of 7ft of head giving me 3150gph at the waterfall weir which is 18in wide. At 18in it is recommended to have 3600gph for an "average" waterfall, we want a less than average waterfall but not ridiculously below average so 3150 might be ok..??? But we are also using a jagged boulder type rock in the waterfall which requires a little more flow typically, might still b ok? So in conclusion, we might want more flow for the waterfall then we currently would be getting. To upgrade the current pump is either way more money, way more watts or usually both! We are adding a second pump for the bog though so if I got that bigger then needed I could T that off to the waterfall too, right?

Sorry for all that, 1st pond build and pumps confuse me. :confused: Thank you!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If your using two pumps I would use two pipes, then you can "T" on off to the bog in the future. I have one pump that feeds my waterfall, bog, and two creeks. If you want to see what the one pump would look like just run a temporary pipe to the waterfall box and give it a go to see how much actual flow there is. Before I built my bog my pump fed the two creeks and main waterfall, then a few years ago I put a "Y" in the line that feeds the savio waterfall box and diverted half the water to the bog they both exit at the top of my falls so the same amount of water is going down the main waterfall. Keep in mind that there may be a limit to the amount of water you can ump through the filter box and still get the appropriate filtration. If you divert some of your water to a bog put a ball valve after teh "Y" so you can control how much water goes to the bog vs the filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks taherrmann4! I'll try to figure out how to do a test run. We spoke briefly years ago but just to say it again, your pond is a BIG inspiration for me, thank you for sharing it with us!

Anyone know of some videos that show different gph flowing through a given waterfall? Something for reference. Might just make a post asking people what they have and show videos, make out own source. :)

Ask a Question