2012 kohaku sanke japaneese koi spawning in new Orleans

Julia

My pond w/ tong,buyog,snow,skai,bubbles&ela
Reaction score
Guys and gals, hows this for Sanke learning?: Written by Kate McGill:

Sanke: Basic appreciation points
• Red and white patterns on a Sanke ideally fulfil the same criteria as a Kohaku. An acceptable exception is the Aka Sanke, where almost the entire Koi is red with black patterns superimposed.
• The quality of the black is a critical feature – it should look coal-black, dense and glossy, and scales should not be visible within black patterns.
• Pattern edges, particularly trailing edges (kiwa), should be sharply defined.
• Black may appear over red or white patterns – when over red, leading edges of black patterns should also look sharp; if over white then a small amount of blurring (sashi of sumi) is both acceptable and desirable, since it provides a 3D element to the pattern. Black over white is preferred, as it’s more elegant.
• The desirable size of black pattern elements changes over time. Black patterns should be neatly arranged along the back, ideally beginning with a large shoulder marking (tsubo, or well-placed sumi).

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Good grief, after 20 years what if the Koi I have are "undesireable"!!! neVeR!!! ha Ha HA!! They will always look good to me :) and that's all that matters really, I never knew what all the big "fuss" over Koi was before! I just picked them out 20 years ago cause I thought they were cute! Now they are like "family pond dogs", cause they like to follow me around the pond. I sure learned alot on your thead Matt, thanks!!! :) :) :)

Reaction score
I love most of the colors. correct or not, but do find it interesting to know/learn more about what is considered "correct". I personally think we have a pond full of gorgeous fish, and since we are the ones enjoying them, it really doesn't matter if they wouldn't appeal to a judge. I love when the folks that are more into things start explaining things out!

I haven't heard the term "pond dogs" before, but it is so true! Hubby was razzing me last night over one of the baby pools we have going. They are only 1 - 2" and every time I walk by them (which is often since they are in the kitchen), they follow me already. If I stop, they come right to the edge and act like a bunch of buoys just bobbing up and down with their little mouth going, waiting for food LOL.

Reaction score
Better pic of a sanke

Attachments

• kbvfeqsdg.JPG
    kbvfeqsdg.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 324
  • adrfghh.JPG
    adrfghh.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 341
Reaction score
Yes mam it is I found a few more today I'd say I have about 40 great quality koi and like 300 pond quality or solids which are nice but i don't have space for any of the low quality ones I've actually have a local park with a massive pond with 2 huge koi like ones easy 30 inches or more I'll talk to the parks guy and see if I can just give me to the park I remember seeing those huge koi when I was like 5 22 years ago and from what I know now those koi were over 24 inches back than hopefully they take email here's some more pond quality.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 293
Reaction score
Right they are definitely beautiful fish hopefully the park people let me donate so everybody can enjoy them for the next 40 years

Here's the best looking ones

Attachments

• vsydndj.JPG
    vsydndj.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 301
  • hshddbdh.JPG
    hshddbdh.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 332
  • hshdbxjdj.JPG
    hshdbxjdj.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 338
Reaction score