sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I figure it was a typo .I do it all the time it must be a brain malfunction .March is the death month and as long as I make it I am happy .I can't eat meat ,no stomach acids to digest it .But could never eat it anyway .I think it is all up to you genetics .My pop pop and mom mom were 82 and 91 when the died .It has to do with stress and where you live sometimes also .As long as we enjoy our lives it is all good and are thankful for it also .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It doesnt matter how you eat! In the end you are still going in the same bag that the guy who ate McDonald's all his life will go in. Be carried out of your house or hospital by 2 or 3 big fat guys who sat in the ambulance just hours before smoking cigarettes and eating burger King from a greasy bag. I eat what ever I buy at the grocery store,drink my water from my well without even a house filter and eat fast food on the way home from work on my 1 hr commute from my job as a welder. Life is too short to stress about your health. We all get sick and die......

I will share my opinion that you are wrong... but you are certainly free to disagree.

Most of the life ending/altering diseases that we are experiencing in this country are tied directly to diet and lifestyle. Obesity - and all the associated problems like joints wearing out and sleep apnea - heart disease, and many cases of Type 2 diabetes can all be attributed to diet and exercise. Believing otherwise is just fooling yourself. While you may continue to eat whatever you choose and still be alive, your quality of life will be affected if you are too fat, too sick, or too tired to do the things you enjoy. But carry on - you may be one of the lucky ones. I hope so. Most people, however, will find their quality of life is improved by eating a healthy diet and exercising.

For myself, I have learned that sugar affects me now in ways it never did when I was younger. I was experiencing a lot of joint pain and tenderness in my fingers, elbows, knees, etc. I switched to a diet that is mainly lean meats, fruits and vegetables and found those pains all went away. Anytime I indulge in a sweet treat now I can be guaranteed that the symptoms will be back the next day. Just my own anecdotal experience.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones because in my early life with 20+ years military and burning my candle at both ends I shouldn't have made it this far. Being 73 and only taking the occasional Advil is a blessing and I know it. I totally agree that quality of life is far more important than quantity, and if I'm ever challenged to make the decision of one over the other I hope I have the courage to follow through with what I believe now. I also believe that aside from the processed foods that are loaded chemicals we can and should eat anything available to us BUT in moderation. The saddest part of this equation is anything healthy whether it's food, environment, carbon footprint, or earth-friendly energy translates to Expensive. I would love to put up solar panels but they're expensive. I'd raise my own beef, catfish, chickens, and pigs, but then I'd name them and everyone knows you can't eat something you've named. Well, I can't. That's why we don't name cukes, corn, and tomatoes around here.
Anyway, I went off on a tangent. When I go I'd like to go like my granddad went...peacefully in his sleep, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Until recently I didn't know what GMO meant. Now that I do, I believe they, and growth hormones in my food supply are the reason I became overweight. I'm at the point in life where I can choose my foods much better than before and try to buy organic if possible. The pursuit of bigger, faster foods has passed my by. I like small bananas and real tomato's.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Recently, I've decided to eat better and was exposed to Forks Over Knives, which was the basis for the change. I have since figured out that eating is like smoking/drinking/drugs; it is just another way someone can die if abused. Since I tend to think we all pick the way we want to go (short of an accident), trying to convince most people (here in the US) that what they put in their body matters, is the same 'pick your poison' argument.

Like someone mentioned above, I figure I'm not too old to see if I can make MY quality of life better as I age (I"m nearing 60) and though I didn't have any health problems and ate more like the typical American, after viewing the video and doing some research, I decided to give it a try. Now, almost 3 years later, I can say I basically feel the same in that I have no loss of energy, same health level, but I DO notice now when I stray and have a meal made up of heavy dairy (still can't give up pizza, but I'm working on it) or heavy-fat foods, any kind of red meat, that my system definitely reacts negatively. I'm not a strict vegan but about 90% of the time, I try to eat whole foods. One important lab test in the vid shows the percentage of bad effects of eating animal protein went up sharply as intake reached over 5%. I now try to keep mine at that mark.

Again, everyone sees this differently but one stat that really made me think is that over 800,00 die from heart disease per year in the US. Made me think it was more of a problem then what I thought it was.

It's a hard habit to break, eating like we do (typical American cuisine, etc) and since there is no 100% surety that carnivores always die early and badly, I still believe NOT putting all the processing and 'unnatural' chemicals into my body has to help as I get older. The caveat I have here is that there ARE alternatives that are just as tasty. And truthfully, I'd never have switched if I hadn't found replacements that were just as good.

The usual YMMV is as true here as drinking and drugs, imo.

Michael

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
My personal opinion is based on the fact that you can take most of the processed foods and lay them out in the open and they will stay in the same condition for a very long time. If bacteria, maggots and bugs etc etc don't want to eat it then maybe we shouldn't either.

Ask a Question