absence of algae

Jerry In Maine

I'm watching you...
Reaction score
i'm not complaining, and i don't want to jinx myself, but here goes...

i've had my new pond filled for about 10 days now. circulation pump has been running for the last 5 days, skippy filter put in-line within the last 24 hours.

water was a bit cloudy prior to starting the filter, but water is maybe 70% clear now. i'm betting that it'll be near 100% clear by tomorrow.

pond is in sunlight the majority of the day, and i've got no algae. should i not have at least a tinge of green somewhere by now? maybe its too cool here yet? daytime temps are in the 70s, night time is gets in the high 40s to 50s.
-or-

...maybe i've developed the first algae-free pond and am on my way to making millions off the secret?

SE18

David V
Reaction score
this year; no string algae; unlike last; I'm mostly shade so perhaps no bearing

I'm thinking algae thrives on chlorine and other chemicals put in water

daveV

Jerry In Maine

I'm watching you...
Reaction score
i'm chlorine-free here. water comes from a well down 320 feet into granite. nice not to have to chems to neutralize it each time i add water.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
10 days is too short a time to really tell. In the long run, algae comes and goes. The condition of a pond is dynamic and it changes all the time over the years. I suspect you'll start seeing some in a month!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep algae usually starts sneaking in around a month of new pond so just keep cleaning and hope for the best

Ask a Question