Accidental fish looker afterer needs HELP PLEASE?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Its just an underwater filter, they are not very good for fish ponds. Its more of a filter for plants and a very small fish load. What you need is a pressure filter with both mechanical and bio filtration..

As for airating the pond goes, this won't do much for you. You can try to turn this into a fountain by retro fitting a pvc pipe to the out flow of the pump (you can try using electric tape or duck tape to hold it in place) . Cut the pvc so that it stands above the waterline. That will push the water out the top and come splashing down into the pond. If you have something to cover the top of the pipe so that it makes the water spray out the sides, then that would be better.
The idea is to get splashing water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It has a fountain kit to fit the top. I believe I might stick a fork into or bleach my brother.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Did you get the dechlorinator? If not, be sure to shut the hose off. Remember, the chlorine will kill. If it was me I would plug in that underwater filter and get the water moving through it. Put it right at the top of the pond somehow so the outflow of it will disturb the top of the water and get it moving around. Can you do this? Let us know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I love the video of your cat watching the giant white fish and licking his chops! Best of luck to you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
No dechlorinator, my brother listens to me then believes he knows best. So what I said was instantly dismissed.
As none of the fish were near the surface at all I turned the hose pipe off ages ago.

I set up the filter and it's now doing it's thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Its just an underwater filter, they are not very good for fish ponds. Its more of a filter for plants and a very small fish load. What you need is a pressure filter with both mechanical and bio filtration..

As for airating the pond goes, this won't do much for you. You can try to turn this into a fountain by retro fitting a pvc pipe to the out flow of the pump (you can try using electric tape or duck tape to hold it in place) . Cut the pvc so that it stands above the waterline. That will push the water out the top and come splashing down into the pond. If you have something to cover the top of the pipe so that it makes the water spray out the sides, then that would be better.
The idea is to get splashing water.

Does it not have bio and mechanical filters. It has 3 types of mechanical filter and a uv something too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I love the video of your cat watching the giant white fish and licking his chops! Best of luck to you!

Ha, yeah. He was so mesmerised the dinner call squeak only got an ear twitch.
He looks fierce but he skirts around my guinea pigs (also rescued from a client by my brother) like they're monsters. ;-)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Very good, that will help a lot!!! When you get dechlor. you can start doing a water change, we can help with that. In the meantime, you are doing well! Keep that filter going, tell us what is inside of the filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Very good, that will help a lot!!! When you get dechlor. you can start doing a water change, we can help with that. In the meantime, you are doing well! Keep that filter going, tell us what is inside of the filter.

Two foam filter grades, bio surface elements and filter pebbles and a uvc.

I'll get the dechlorinator tomorrow late morning. While I'm there I'll need fish food. Any suggestions?

These are the ones we have at the moment.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just look on the box it came in, directions in there too? Can you tell us what it says? Don't take the filter out of your pond, just let it do it's thing. It will be oxygenating and also helping suck up things floating in the pond. Let us know tomorrow when you get the dechlor. Also, be thinking of someone/someplace to give the huge Koi to. He is too big to live in your pond. But you can keep him until you find him a good home. The others can stay there with you. We will help you. Now go get some sleep, it is very late where you live. UK?
Barb

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I edited my last post putting the filter info in it as I realised my mistake.

I live in Norfolk.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good again! That filter has bio and mechanical materials. the UV light is to kill microscopic algae but with your huge lilies you won't need that. But you can leave it running for now. The foods are good too, wait until a couple days pass before you offer food. Let the fish settle in. No need to buy more. I bet your brother paid a big price for that filter, he is trying to help and did. Have a good night, you saved several fish from certain death by a previous very poor pond keeper. Well done!
Barb

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Lol he paid for it with my money. And we're often rescuing creatures. Sadly no puppies yet.
I'm pleased we got the pond sorted, well stable, at last. Thank you and everyone else for all the help.
Good night.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Sounds like you are getting good advice up there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Keeping the small filter / fountain, running will be a big help. I would not worry about feeding the fish, there is plenty of algae and bugs in the pond and you don't have sufficient filtration to handle their waste.

Look to see if there is a koi club in your region and reach out to them for help in rehoming the large koi. The biggest fish will die first from oxygen deprivation and that is a big koi, so please watch it carefully.

You mentioned past predators, can you net the pond so the heron doesn't get them.....with them at the surface, they'll be sitting ducks.

Ask a Question