Accidental fish looker afterer needs HELP PLEASE?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Keeping the small filter / fountain, running will be a big help. I would not worry about feeding the fish, there is plenty of algae and bugs in the pond and you don't have sufficient filtration to handle their waste.

Look to see if there is a koi club in your region and reach out to them for help in rehoming the large koi. The biggest fish will die first from oxygen deprivation and that is a big koi, so please watch it carefully.

You mentioned past predators, can you net the pond so the heron doesn't get them.....with them at the surface, they'll be sitting ducks.

I did mention the heron. It turns up in spring then we don't see it for the rest of the year. But of course I can get netting sorted. Umm the cat's will be cheesed off and thirsty though!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good to hear. Now, try to find a new home for the huge Koi. Tula has a good idea, see above post from her. That Koi is way to big for your pond. But the others will be fine. Let us know when you get the dechlor. and we can help with doing a good water change and pond clean up. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The dechlor expedition was a waste of time. Two garden centres and a pet shop I couldn't find any. Tomorrow afternoon is now the next time I can get it.

Today, my brother brought the horrible woman's pond pump round to see if I could use it. It needs a good clean but do you think it's any good?
All the fish have disappeared. I can see occasional glimpses of the orange ones and the lily pads moving as the Goliath fish moves through the stems.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That sort of looks like a filter and a pump. Any names on it?

Glad your fish are doing better you are doing a good job!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You could certainly use that! It's a pressure filter and pump - hook the pump to the filter, drop the pump in the pond, pump the clean water back into the pond! The canister can just sit on the side of the pond in the meantime.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, you can use it as Lisa said. Just keep looking for dechlor. and then when you have it you will be able to do water change. But until then you will be fine with the filter you set up yesterday and the old one. Give it a clean first, it probably is gunky, just hose it off well. Take it apart if you can and hose off the parts. Lucky fish that your brother and you have saved them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The pump doesn't look too difficult to clean. I'll need to get a plug the plastic orange attachment where the wires come out says 16amp. Does that sound correct?

When I find a home for the big fish what sort of volume of water does it need? Does it need shallower but wider than mine? I mean more surface area to swim free.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-8-31_8-53-30.gif
@MisseeLee

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@MisseeLee How big is that koi? It looks at least 2’ long or more..., I wouldn’t give him to anyone that has a pond smaller than a few thousand gallons, it would need width and depth to live comfortably. Where do you live? You might find someone on here to take the koi or at least point you in the direction of your local koi club.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pump should be fine once its cleaned. I had that same canister in a 200 gallon set up when i first started. It couldn't keep the water clean. Its good for now so use it but eventually you will need something double that size.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MisseeLee How big is that koi? It looks at least 2’ long or more..., I wouldn’t give him to anyone that has a pond smaller than a few thousand gallons, it would need width and depth to live comfortably. Where do you live? You might find someone on here to take the koi or at least point you in the direction of your local koi club.

Crikey no it's18 inches no more. My pond is 11' x 4' on the inside and the water is 4' deep, 5000 litres, is that still not enough?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How are the pond and fish now? Missee how many fish do you have? Old and new ones? Some people would keep an 18" fish in that size pond. If you don't have too many other fish, and are willing to do lots of filtering and some water changes, and remove some of the plants (they take up too much swimming room), it is possible to keep that big Koi. Not ideal but possible. So, how many fish are in there and how big are they?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
When you set the cleaned pump in the pond, put it up on something, so if a hose to the filter breaks, it doesn't empty your pond.

Ask a Question