j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It's fun watching our fishy pets bring new life to our ponds. I can't wait to see what my hew shubbies will add when they start breeding. Like their speckled colors and all the different variations. I like the oj and white one too and the ones w/ the long tails, white ones, black ones and everything in between. Gosh I guess I just like them all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Me, too! I'm hoping for some tri colored babies that keep their color this year. So far, the ones that had any black spots on them, lost the black by the fall or the following year. Maybe this year will be the year to get some that keep the black. But, in the end, doesn't really matter, I love each and every one of them. They are all special in one way or another.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yep. I've had several even the first year come out with all three colors. They were mostly orange and white, with some black spots. One I named Target, but the "target" vanished by that winter, did not return. My original Shubunkin is now a diluted looking orange, with white. She had lots of black speckles when I first got her, one of my original fish from the aquarium purchased. But, I know it's her, because of other markings and since I had taken lots of pics.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well darn then I suppose that can happen w/ mine that I just bought last year also. I will have to keep an eye out and see if they change. Wonder if buying some w/ lots of black on them would make a difference in it staying?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Not sure, JW. I will watch and buy more fantails this year again. I have red/white ones, and white/red ones, and bluish background (instead of white) with black and red spots. Then I have that really large male Shubunkin from POnd Kid that is very blue and has lots of red and black spots. Everyone that sees him loves him, I guess because he is different, so he stands out. I also got 3 Shubies from Wal-Mart a year ago December. One of them lost it's black, but the other two (yep, they are the more blue looking background color) kept their black. Not sure if it's just coincidence, or if the ones that are more blue looking keep the black better, I'll let you know if I get any babies this year. I've seen some of the little fantails that I got last fall and they are doing just fine. Couple of them are still very small, and others were larger and have grown some during the winter. Spot and Speck are also in there doing fine. I sure know what people mean when they say they have not seen their fish! OMG, I was afraid something came to get my fish, all of them were hiding. Then, close to dark went out there and they were all there, just came out of hiding. I wonder if something has spooked them. Usually I can see most of them hanging around. I sure hope a heron is not visiting my ponds while I'm at work!!! Koi are in deep water, have lots of "garages" to hide under, goldfish are in 3' of water, also several garages to hide under, so I think they should be fine.

Reaction score
All of my current shubies are 2 years old and still have tons of color on them, so I'm hoping they stay that way. None of their colors have faded any either, all of them are still nice and vibrant. I have a lot of variety in my colors as well, so this year's babies should be pretty cool. My fish are currently peeved with me since my net broke and i had to use my hands to catch all of them to do a bit of pond maintenance. Nobody will eat from my hand for the time being, but eventually they'll calm down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
RF, since you have a beautiful tri-colored fantail in your avatar, have you ever had any fantail babies?? Those of us with fantails are all anxiously awaiting babies, and so far I know of no one that has successfully raised some babies. Sissy said she thinks she got a fantail baby last year, one that wiggled when it swam, but had not seen it after winter set in. We are holding our breaths that it appears come warmer weather and water. (And, Sissy has not been on for quite a while now, hoping everything is ok with her and her family!) The pic you have in your avatar is the type I'm calling "blue", where the white background is more of a blue color. I have some fantails that are really vibrant white and red, but the tri colored ones are more of this bluish instead of white. Do you have any Shubies that are the vibrant white in their body, or more like the bluish coloring? I'm trying to figure out if that color gene is what helps them keep all their colors. The ones I have with that coloring seem to have kept their colors better, but if they were born vibrant white and red, with black spots, the black faded in the first year.

Reaction score
This is my first year of raising goldfish so I haven't ever had babies before. The fish in my avi is Cali. She is all white in her background color, it just looks grey in that picture. The Blue color is literally a shade of blue, I've seen a couple of them. I've also seen dark grey ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Here is what I mean by "blue". Not really blue, just a cash of bluish color, instead of what I call "vibrant white". The Comet in the pic has the red and white coloration, the Shubunkin instead of being really vibrant white, has more of a blue cast to his background color.
Shubunkin and Comet from PK.JPG
In this pic, the fantail and the top and bottom Shubunkins also have that same bluish coloring.
Goldfish from aquarium put into the new pond.JPG
I'm not sure yet if this is good or bad, but all of these fish were put in the pond last year April, and all still have the same markings. I've had babies born that were more red and white, one I called "Target" because it had a pretty good sized black spot on it's side, but that black mark faded. I'm just trying to get some babies that keep all 3 colors, since tri-colored goldies and koi are my favorites. Learning as I go. :razz:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks, Dave. BTW, that's a Wal-Mart special! In fact all the fish in the second pic above are from Wal-Mart. I've had a lot of luck with fish from our local WM. Usually only buy fantails, as they are cheaper than the local pet store, and watch for new shipments when they have maybe 30 to choose from, save them early. LOL I've gotten some really cool color patterns. Got a fantail similar to the white and red one in the pic, but it had a red dot on each of the 3 parts of the fantail, another red spot on the head (like the one in the pic) but also a red spot on each pectoral fin and the dorsal fin.

Ask a Question