Added Fish To New Pond, Now What.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
no feed store nearby, but their a tractor supply shop by my work. Will get a few bags tomorrow
You don't need much. My notes say about 1 pound/500 gallons of water. More than that and it will just take longer to dissolve. As others said, no need to pull them out. They dissolve faster in acidic water than alkaline, so eventually they almost stop dissolving.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
that's why I wonder why he's been using it for years. Says it keeps his water clear. Told him about this website and to get help here, but he said he's happy with the results so didn't push it any further.

The bacteria that are in a bottle of the 'muck busting' form of this product already exist in each and every pond.
So, WHY?, you ask, do these products work (and they do) but the existing bacteria don't. A simple little answer that the manufacturers of these products fail to tell you.
Not only does a bottle of this type of product contain bacteria but it also contains Food for these bacteria to eat while they are working on breaking down the accumulated organic sediment. The bacteria already existing in the pond would accomplish the same task, but they do not have a sufficient source of food. No. the organic sediment is not a direct source of food for these bacteria. They rely on the availability of simple Carbon compounds to supply their energy needs.
Bottom line--When one purchases a bottle of these bacteria, they are actually purchasing a bottle of somewhat expensive bacteria food.
This only applies to the heterotophic bacteria, not the autotropnic nitrifying bacteria.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That's the old "causation/correlation" trope. "I do this and that happens so therefore doing this causes that." He's keeping the people who sell the BIB happy anyway!
the stuff he uses is also pretty expensive. It works out to about $50 a month. I'd rather use that money for a nice dinner out....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
took a peak at the pond before leaving of work today.
It not completely clear for the first time, should I have concerns?
assume it bacteria or algae growth, that's good right?

good quality water at the moment is more important to me than clear

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I wouldn't be, fairly typical of new ponds that get a lot of sun. Usually algae blooms tint the water then clears up as your more desirable plants get going and out compete it for available nutrients.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
the stuff he uses is also pretty expensive. It works out to about $50 a month. I'd rather use that money for a nice dinner out....
Exactly! There is a lot of money to be made [and spent....by us] in the pond retail business. But I would be willing to bet that if you were to secretly switch out his "product" with plain water, he would never notice a difference in the results!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
readings look bad this evening
already mentioned the murky water this morning
also noticed the waterfall area has bright green growth

pH is lower at about 6.5
and ammonia is lower at below 0.2
what changed the most was the kH is now zero and gH now higher. going to dump in the ground oyster shells i just picked up today.

Also my sick fish looks bad today, floating on the top doing nothing. Thinking about moving her to a clean tank.

do I need to doing anything else?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If that KH is correct, you need to immediately begin adding Baking Soda. Total amount needed is 11 oz. or 68 teaspoons. Do not add all at once. Testing should be done between dosings. Avoid increasing alkalinity levels more than 1.4 dKH per day. Expect pH to also rise.

What is the current GH level?.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If that KH is correct, you need to immediately begin adding Baking Soda. Total amount needed is 11 oz. or 68 teaspoons. Do not add all at once. Testing should be done between dosings. Avoid increasing alkalinity levels more than 1.4 dKH per day. Expect pH to also rise.

What is the current GH level?.

gH is 150, adding 3 oz of baking soda now every 30 mins,
thanks Meyer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
should I move the sickly fish to a clean tank?
she looks terrible

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
should I move the sickly fish to a clean tank?
she looks terrible

You can but use the current pond water and be aware that the two waters (pond and tank) will not be the same after the addition of the baking soda.
Monitor the dKH. You do not want it to change abruptly.....no more than 1.4 dKH per 24 hour period.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You can but use the current pond water and be aware that the two waters (pond and tank) will not be the same after the addition of the baking soda.
Monitor the dKH. You do not want it to change abruptly.....no more than 1.4 dKH per 24 hour period.
does 1.4 dKH equal to roughly 50ppm?
is the KH I'm targeting about 150ppm?

also curious on the root cause of the abrupt drop in KH

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

I also kept the fish in the pond for tonight, if still under stress, will move her tomorrow morning

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
does 1.4 dKH equal to roughly 50ppm?
is the KH I'm targeting about 150ppm?

also curious on the root cause of the abrupt drop in KH

1.4 dKH is 25.8 ppm.

Scr%20shots%20API%20kit%20%282%29.png

Bacteria; activity is typically the cause of an Alkalinity drop, but it is normally a gradual process.
We can explore the cause later. Right now it (dKH) needs to be raised. Ideally you want the GH and the KH at the same level, so yes, your target is 150 dKH.
You should also see the pH gradually rise.

Ask a Question