Adding the bog

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This post really resonated with me......and by no means am I intending to "knock" the Koi forums or the Koi-centric pond community -- there are lots of wonderful and helpful Koi-keepers out there -- but I so often read just how *bad* bogs are from people who have never ever seen a bog filtered pond (good or bad outcome), let alone actually used a bog themselves.

Exactly! And I repeatedly tell people "I do NOT keep a koi pond. I have a garden pond that happens to have some koi in it." It's so important for people to understand that from the start. Know what your end goal is and you'll be much more likely to achieve it.

I would never attempt to do what some do with the size and number of koi that they keep. Our fish load is kept intentionally low and we feed with a light hand. Our bog functions beautifully for our pond. Our pond is truly low maintenance. We do a lot of GARDENING in and around our pond, but we have minimal pond related care.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well said Lisak1, that was why I built a bof as well. Low maintenance and gardening. I don't think there is a right way or a wrong way just a what works for you way.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I, with no exaggeration, have ignored my pond all summer. Life sort of took over. The fish get fed now and then, the lilies no grooming, no pond cleaning. Water tests are perfect, water is crystal clear fish healthy, frogs healthy, plants growing, bees drinking. All I have is my bog keeping the pond healthy.

Ask a Question