Aeration versus water movement

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lisak1, I don't know. This will be my first winter with plants. My banana trees died last winter and came back as did some impatiens I had planted but I've never had a bunch of plants to think about. This winter will tell. We don't get snow but the average low is in the 40's and we have had days in the 30's. Last year we did have 1 day of snow but that is freakishly rare.
And I don't know if I have the red stem parrots feather Addy1, I'm assuming the stem will be red so I'll have to look and see. If it is, I'll pot and sink those as well.

Reaction score
I think your plants will be fine if you only avaerage 40's. Plants are surprisingly resilient and know how to survive. They may die back and look dead but the roots preserve the plant for the next growing season. I have several plants that where bare roots sitting on top of my soil until late November. And then I just bought a bag of top soil and covered the roots, plants sat above ground with a thin layer of dirt on roots all last horrible winter. They came back without a problem. The Lizards Tail I got from @addy1 has looked dead as a door nail until last week when new baby leaves started shooting from the lowest part of the stem. I just put them in a bucket of water when I got them to see if they would liven up before I put in the pond.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh I think I got a bunch of that from her as well. Same thing. It looked dead so I stuck them in the bog and within a week I have shoots. I'll have to get a picture of the bog, it's amazing how much stuff has sprouted. I don't know what half of it is, but it's green and growing.
All of the stuff I planted in the sissy socks I got for a dollar at Lowes so if it dies I'm not going to be heartbroken. I figured if only 1/2 my stuff lives I'm doing great since it was all planted so late in the season.
My plan is to get a lot of WH, WL, Parrot feather, hornwort, and elodea in early next spring so it has plenty of time to grow before full summer hits.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And I don't know if I have the red stem parrots feather Addy1
I didn't send you any, I only have one small pot of it. It grows slow and I have to protect it from our cold.

I don't know what half of it is, but it's green and growing.
Post pictures and I can usually tell you what the plant is.
Plants are surprisingly resilient and know how to survive
No kidding even ones you don't want to survive!

Reaction score
Oh I think I got a bunch of that from her as well. Same thing. It looked dead so I stuck them in the bog and within a week I have shoots. I'll have to get a picture of the bog, it's amazing how much stuff has sprouted. I don't know what half of it is, but it's green and growing.
All of the stuff I planted in the sissy socks I got for a dollar at Lowes so if it dies I'm not going to be heartbroken. I figured if only 1/2 my stuff lives I'm doing great since it was all planted so late in the season.
My plan is to get a lot of WH, WL, Parrot feather, hornwort, and elodea in early next spring so it has plenty of time to grow before full summer hits.
I feel confident all your plants will live!!!
In dirt gardens there is a saying: 1st year it sleeps, 2nd year it creeps, 3 year it leeps. I think with all the nutrients in the pond you will skip 2nd year and go right to the 3rd!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):

If you had impatiens come back, then I wouldn't worry too much about anything else. Those are the first thing to die when it cools off here - we haven't even had a frost yet and ours are all dead.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine impatiens are dying just from the cold air, no frost yet and they are almost gone. So tbendl agree with ^^^^

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I pulled two floating nets of parrot's feather and am growing some in a vase inside. Addy, I note you leave yours floating in the pond. Do you think it would be ok to leave my last floating net of parrot's feather, or will it decompose and add to decayed matter in the pond? Thanks.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have just left mine floating, it dies, or looks dead, then comes back in the spring.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll get some pictures of my bog tonight. And my impatiens are still flowering, I've even got a few in the bog. Everything in there, with the exception of 4 plants all came from Addy. And I have the regular parrot feather, no red stems so I'm going to leave them be. So far, nothing looks like it's dying back except my WH.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I gave up on WH had it one year, it never grew or bloomed well, not worth the effort.

Reaction score
Just showing off my one flowering plant this year! It did bloom twice! Sorry don't know how to rotate but I know someone does!
IMG_1753.JPG
IMG_1744.JPG
IMG_1712.JPG

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's so pretty Lisa. Mine looked fat and happy like yours but never bloomed. I'm ok if it doesn't since it's pretty either way but dang these are gorgeous. Maybe next year.

Ask a Question