Aeration versus water movement

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It is in the same section usually, its the stuffing for pillows or stuffed animals or anything else ya wanna cram a poly fiber into!
polyfil_16.jpg
So I've had my pump running water to both my milk crate filled with this stuff and my bog. I pulled the milk crate last night just to see if it was doing anything since the outside was still all white and fluffy... Wow what a pretty green color it was. I rinsed it and put it back in. Going to let in run through the weekend and see where we are at but it sure is working!

Reaction score
I love my poly, I keep a small bag in my skimmer net all the time. I'm addicted to poly fiber!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
When I pull my lilies after a summer of growing in kitty litter, there is a earthy pondy smell nothing gross. I love the smell of mulch....fresh cut grass...........good dirt........clean breeze..........ocean breeze........on and on

Addy,
Do you actually pull your lilies in the fall? I was recently in the pond and cut them back, but wasn't planning on doing anything else with them. I've considered doing nothing next Spring as well, since they're newer and getting established. What are your thoughts, as you have such beautiful lilies:)

Reaction score
Trying to figure out how to explain kitty litter in the blender to the family. And oh dear what will I use for making margaritas?

It would be like me explaining , why i put moss and beer in mine , then painting my rocks with the mixture,
Ive put all kinds of stuff in that yard sell blender,,

Reaction score
The blender will brake up the moss spores and the beer will kickstart the growth,,

as for that , if those were options , id choose option "A"

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy,
Do you actually pull your lilies in the fall? I was recently in the pond and cut them back, but wasn't planning on doing anything else with them. I've considered doing nothing next Spring as well, since they're newer and getting established. What are your thoughts, as you have such beautiful lilies:)

I don't pull them i.e. out of the pond, what I meant is I pull them out of the water cut the leaves, buds off give them a grooming job. Then right back into the pond they go, just deep enough to not freeze the tuber, around 1.5 to 2 foot deep.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So you cut all the lily pads off and just leave the tuber Addy?

I cut mine down to about 3-4 inches above the tuber. Leave the tuber in the pot and leave - or put - the pot as deep as possible in the pond.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ok I thought you just trimmed the dead ones but it's good thing I didn't climb in the pond this weekend or I'd have to do it again. :) Thanks Lisak1

Reaction score
Ok I thought you just trimmed the dead ones but it's good thing I didn't climb in the pond this weekend or I'd have to do it again. :) Thanks Lisak1

During the growing season you want to trim off the dead ones. If there comes a time where you plan to do a last "winterizing" of the pond then you should remove whatever remains and put the pot below the freezing level. This applies to all plants. You want to remove all the plant material that would otherwise decompose in the pond over Winter since it will add to the ammonia etc in the pond.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah I figure I'll need to pull the WH and WL when it starts looking too sickly. I had planned on leaving the parrot feather and hornwort since I didn't think it dies and also leaving the potted stuff in the pond. I will trim my lilies and sink them pretty soon. (Not yet, I'm not ready for them to go yet). :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah I figure I'll need to pull the WH and WL when it starts looking too sickly. I had planned on leaving the parrot feather and hornwort since I didn't think it dies and also leaving the potted stuff in the pond. I will trim my lilies and sink them pretty soon. (Not yet, I'm not ready for them to go yet). :(

What does winter look like for you? Will your hardy plants die back?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So you cut all the lily pads off and just leave the tuber Addy?

Like they are saying above, I cut off all the leaves and buds, living and dead, except the tiny new growth ones, they take off in the spring.
Any other plants I cut off any dead and living matter, with my plants I leave the pots where they are. The lilies I just make sure the tuber is at least 12 inches down. The lotus stay where they are the tubers are around 18 inches down.

Parrots feather, hornwort, aracharnis, all stay where they are, usually floating in the pond.

The only plant that gets special attention is the red stem parrots feather, it is in a small pot and to survive needs to be sunk.

So far everything comes back gang busters in the spring.

Ask a Question