Air and filteration

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
I have some ideas I want to discuss ,I built a air stone filter, I think! I think it should create a mini bio filter, directly in the pond ! Pix of my unique poor boy set up .Presently ,have 2 separate submerged sump pumps one 1/6 hp one 1/3 hp 1 1/2 discharge line 1/6 1/2 " both go to my 250 gal diy bio tank both bottom fed w/ tee and el to rotate incoming water both separate circuits w/ venturi anti back flow preventer air injection 1/3 of the media in the tank is what you see in the mini filter 6" raised hd mesh platform 12 " thick layer of longer larger 15 wraps ea 42" long 1 1/2 dia tubes two additional separated same way of filter screen 30 mesh folded and cross piled, ceramic tubes, scrubber pads and plastic 10x12"plastic screen grates w/3/32 holes approx 250 of them staggered layers last plastic hd grate then water hyacints 2 3'' outlets ,smaller 1/6 hp runs 24-7 switchto larger for effect and water wheel when out there .added air bubblers to tank and ponds ,now I thinking of adding TT from exhaust of bio tank to gravity feed TT hight an issue ,would a larger 14"sq 24'' long module containing 86 tubes like shown in the mini work as trickle tower on a shoot back in the pond as a water falls.

Attachments

• pondpix 001.JPG
    pondpix 001.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 339
  • pond pix 001.JPG
    pond pix 001.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 325
  • pond pix 002.JPG
    pond pix 002.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 320
  • pond pix 003.JPG
    pond pix 003.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 313
  • pond pix 006.JPG
    pond pix 006.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 302
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 287
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 377
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 328
Reaction score
I'm not sure I followed all that...but it sounds like a very good set up. Overall looking at the entire pond, shape, falls, and fish load it seem like you have a lot of filtering. Almost more of a river than a pond. Very nice. I've seen a lot of ponds but I would love to take a closer look at your set up. Not the normal pond which I think is very interesting. Hopefully you can post more details on each part of the pond, because you have a lot going on and it seems to work well together.

Filters...
Normally static submerged media is a poor filter. But by adding air, if I understood correctly, you almost have a fluidized bed filter. I'm talking about the blue basket and white media. The air should help most of the media, which looks nice and open, stay free of muck. Unfortunately, even with air this would probably still be low O2. Most gas exchange happens at the surface, the bubbles just push water to the surface. However, given the pond size, the water movement caused by the bubbles would stir the pond and I'll bet you have excellent O2 levels throughout the pond and having the bubbles start in the media means there's good flow through the media so it should work pretty darn well I'd guess. Not as good as the Trickle Tower will, but way pretty than static submerged media.

Test...
You'd have to actually test using ammonia to measure the filter's conversion rate to know for sure how well it was performing if you really wanted to know. Not a hard test and the results are always interesting. Another test is after a few months, turn off the air and slowly pull the filter to the surface and kind of shake it to see how much muck dust comes out and from which areas. After getting dust off you can look at the media...brown areas would be healthy bio film. Black would not be. And if the media was still basically white it would just mean there really wasn't anything to filter which I wouldn't be surprised at given your whole setup..

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks good. I like that truck in the background, is that your rolling work shop? Looks interesting.

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
Looks good. I like that truck in the background, is that your rolling work shop? Looks interesting.
I've done so much with so little ,with the Lords help,I'm beginning to think I can do also anything with next to nothing ! recycled golf cart hull ,cheaper to buy a partially stripped G.C. than the parts you need ,and with your imagination ,and the Lords help . WHALA! a rolling work bench 4/wheeled Trailer ,add a generator ,DIY a hitch not too pretty but mulitifuntional any where on the 8 acres pulled w/ a golf cart ,and droped where ever I am working ,Everything I forgot chased w/ The G.C.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That is quite a set up you have there and glad it is working well for you. I noticed that truck also and you are pretty clever and nice to hear you give credit to the good Lord above!

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
That is quite a set up you have there and glad it is working well for you. I noticed that truck also and you are pretty clever and nice to hear you give credit to the good Lord above!
Darling ,every day I am reminded of the here after seldom does a hr.go bye I that I don't have to stop and say now , LORD what am I here after ? Then I often think we both get a good laff. I hope, I live a few more years I'm a work in progress ,and still have a ways to go ,by then MAYBE I might be acceptable.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You sound like quite the character multifasited and you are going to fit in nicely here w/ all the others of us here,lol!

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
You sound like quite the character multifasited and you are going to fit in nicely here w/ all the others of us here,lol!
Darling , Even from opposite ends of this wide country ,I have been pegged,you are a fast study ,girl.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Hey fast study! are you calling us characters?

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
air and filter ,my prime interests ,I tested 1 larger module as a trickle tower concept ,14"sq. 24" 66 tubes ,First with in seconds ,the water dribbling string fashion was remarkably cooler than the water in the test tank ,suggesting to me o2 transfer tube construction 1/4 mesh , fine netting [like 6# mono ] 5 wraps per tube .Gone to build second module,looking real good! Later.

Ask a Question