Air pump - Pondmaster vs. Laguna

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Can anyone tell me what type of air pump you use, and what you like about it, and what you would recommend or say to stay away from based on past experience?
I'm going to get an air pump, something that will run both ponds (one is 4,000 gal, the other 2,500 gal) now with several lines in each, maybe a line in the Skippy filter, and the one or multiple lines in the winter to help keep the ice from freezing. So, it needs to be outside safe, and I will build a box to keep it safe from elements, but with holes to allow air exchange of course. Pondmaster 40 and 60 have been highly recommended to me by Larkin (Fishin4cars) so I'm definitely leaning toward one of those. He says the 40 would be plenty, 60 would be even better if I wanted more lines. Seems the Pondmaster is efficient, not high wattage, so that's a plus. Then saw the Laguna 50 and wondered about that one. Costwise, they are in the same ballpark, between $100 and $125.
Wondering if anyone has other recommendations for long life and high efficiency in air pumps, and if what I'm wanting to do with the pump will work with the pumps mentioned. (i.e. run 2-3 lines per pond, distance from pump to pond would be from 10' to longest run to filter would be about 25' maybe ... could possibly place pump so longest was about 15' as well.)
Thanks for your help and suggestions!!!
Patti

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Remember the ones with the bladders you will have to replace them so factor that in to the cost and check that cost and maybe get one when you order it .I know pond master has good ratings .I bought my air balls I call them from big als online cheapest place for them .Weighted air hoses are high dollar

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Sissy, what are weighted air hoses? I suspect I could tie a rock to the line to keep it down, or the air stone maybe would be heavy enough if not. I'm sure you didn't pay high dollar for weighted hoses, you figured out another way. You're so ingenious!
Do all air pumps have air bladders? Are your "air balls" different brand, and I know you always check for high efficiency and low wattage, so what kind of output does yours do? How many lines do you run from it?
Just trying to figure out what I need and make sure I have enough power to run the lines I want to run. They all have 8-12 outlet adapters so it seems like they will have lots of power, but I know the farther I go, the less the power will be to that line.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a pondmaster 100, two lines about 40 feet away to my lotus tub. 5 air stones in the main pond, 3 of them 5 feet down. All running full blast and well. I used it to keep ice off the pond. Now using it for the pond, sure adds a lot of water movement.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They are just air stones I call them balls because they are ball shaped and no all aerators do not have bladders .I bought an hydronics one but it sucks big time .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have a pondmaster 100, two lines about 40 feet away to my lotus tub. 5 air stones in the main pond, 3 of them 5 feet down. All running full blast and well. I used it to keep ice off the pond. Now using it for the pond, sure adds a lot of water movement.
Addy, so do you have 2 lines in one lotus tub? I was wondering about putting an air line to the pots I have for the lotus. I have 4 of them, so that means 4 lines to them (hopefully one will be sufficient in each tub...). I'd like to run a line into the skippy, too, but not absolutely set on having that for sure, just if I have "extra air" I'll run a line to that.
Do you have to worry about pulling all the lines in the winter, then? I would assume just roll them up and bring them inside, except for what you use to keep pond open when pond ices over. I'm thinking about that as well, as one air pump could run both ponds instead of running a water pump and/or tank heater.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Sissy, what are weighted air hoses? Did I assume right that they will sink, rather than float and you have to pull them under water? Are most air stones heavy enough to keep the tubing submerged? What is a good size stone for a pond, since I see lots of different shapes and sizes. Is larger better for more bubbles, I assume? Or, do you have a have a stone at the end of the line, or just let bubble flow? I would guess that no stone would take more air flow away from other directions, though.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy, so do you have 2 lines in one lotus tub? I was wondering about putting an air line to the pots I have for the lotus. I have 4 of them, so that means 4 lines to them (hopefully one will be sufficient in each tub...). I'd like to run a line into the skippy, too, but not absolutely set on having that for sure, just if I have "extra air" I'll run a line to that.
Do you have to worry about pulling all the lines in the winter, then? I would assume just roll them up and bring them inside, except for what you use to keep pond open when pond ices over. I'm thinking about that as well, as one air pump could run both ponds instead of running a water pump and/or tank heater.

My lotus tub is 300 gallons, full of tads, some rosey reds and I even saw one goldfish. So I put in two air stones. Lotus like some water movement. My air pump kept the lotus tub and pond from freezing over. I don't do anything with the lines in the winter. The main line out of the air pump (3/4 inch) I put some of the pipe insulation around it to keep the heated air from condensing as much and causing a ice dam when it hit the cold line.

Sissy, what are weighted air hoses? Did I assume right that they will sink, rather than float and you have to pull them under water? Are most air stones heavy enough to keep the tubing submerged? What is a good size stone for a pond, since I see lots of different shapes and sizes. Is larger better for more bubbles, I assume? Or, do you have a have a stone at the end of the line, or just let bubble flow? I would guess that no stone would take more air flow away from other directions, though.

They are air hoses that sink ce, I checked into buying them but big bucks. Some of my lines I just wired tied a weight to them so they won't float. The end with the air stone sinks, but the middle of the line floats if your line goes out into the pond some.
I have stones all all of my lines, I like the finer bubbles that come out, some are stones, some are flat disc's 4 inches. My winter set up is different, it is a loop of 3/4 irrigation line with holes punched in it, lots of air in one spot, I punched holes until I saw the air flow slowing down.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I drilled holes with a concrete bit in stones to put my air lines through .I clamp them down and use a nail to mark to keep the drill bit from moving .Just hammer the nail in a spot and you have a marked spot .And yes weighted air lines are not cheap ,I got black air rubber lines at lowes and did not use the air lines you can buy at pet stores .Cheaper at lowes 25 ft for 3.88 .You need most times 3/16 size hose .My pump I got for 25 dollars and it is used for hydroponic gardening supposed to be good to 5 ft and was 55 watts of power .I can remember psi right now .They have no bladder .But not so great .It comes with an adapter for 6 air hoses .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, thanks ladies for the added comments. Especially about the circle line with holes punched for your winter bubbler, Addy. That sounds like it lets more air come out, and more likely to keep hole open at the surface.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sissy are you talking about hammering a hole w/a nail into a rock to get the hole started? How does one get it to go through the rock enough to indent? Never tried so maybe it just does, just thought the rock would be too hard to do that.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is like you do with tile so you don't crack it ,make a little spot where you can place the drill bit tip and it does not slip off .I put it in a vice if it is small and use a hammer drill .I also add water and dip the drill bit in water to keep it cool ,don't want to fracture the stone .I find the flatter stones work the best and you can get through them fast with the bit .Take it slow and it works every time .I have a couple more to do as my neighbor wanted two .Thats also how I did the number on a large flat rock for my house and then painted the numbers to make them stand out .That took almost a month and 4 bits.you can see it in the background

Attachments

• 2012 house 026.JPG
    2012 house 026.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 256

Ask a Question