j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks for splainin it to me sissy. I've never worked w/ tile or stone but I get the idea now. You have lots of patience on your nice projects and to spend a month on just one of them.............I don't know if I could deal w/ that amt of time. I like to get er done now! Your house # sign is cool and now we all know where you live exactly and will be over for drinks later on,lol!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well there is left over ham and salad and I made ham and eggs and fresh bread for breakfast and out the door they went .Must be nice to stay at a hotel that serves meals for free lol just kidding .lol i'm a maid and cook hmmmm

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
new I wound find the pic of what I call an air ball and Bert aggies partner in crime

Attachments

• pond new trellis 004.JPG
    pond new trellis 004.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 274
  • pond new trellis 006.JPG
    pond new trellis 006.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 269
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Bert is really pretty!!! That's the kind of air ball I'm looking at, Sissy. It seems those might be better than the flat ones, but not sure. I would worry what if the flat ones turned over and the air was shooting downward, or maybe the bubbles come out of both sides of the flat ones. Maybe I'll get both types and see which works the best.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The flat ones, air one side, usually plastic on the other side.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like the fact they were 2 inches round and were really cheap at big als.com

forgot to post the pics of the hyacinths that survived the winter .I dragged the concrete tub of them out of the basement a couple of weeks ago and picked all the brown yucky leaves off they are still a little yellow but look fine otherwise .Aerator I got at petco with 4 outlets for less than 30 dollars worked great to give the roots air

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Sissy, so what was your way of keeping hyacinths growing all winter? I think you said you didn't use any artificial light, but had them near a south or maybe east window. Was it a walkout basement type of window, or window well window, that was way up high? And, you had an airline running on them 24/7, huh? Maybe that was the key.
I tried to bring mine into the garage, and they and the mini water lettuce were doing just fine, until I brought them into the basement. Within 2 weeks they were all dead and slimy. I did not have an air hose, though, and was using florescent light fixtures above them about 10 hours a day.
I've ordered some hyacinths, but am waiting for the weather to warm up before having them delivered. That way they will be bigger, and she will hold them for 30 days. Can wait until May 11, but hoping the weather cooperates sooner than that. I'd rather wait, though, than have them and get cold weather and have them all die on me.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'd sure like to try some of those water hyacinths again but leery as they didn't do well at all. Water lettuce also did crappy. Think I'm sticking to hardy plants that can take our own weather. You guys all have nice hot weather in the summer and us not so much! We get ripped off weather wise all year round pretty much!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
First I have to see if I can get the hyacinths to grow and flourish in my ponds this summer. I'm hoping that since the ponds will have cycled longer than they did last summer when I first tried them, maybe they will survive. We shall see. I'm hoping to get them delivered about the first or second week of May. Then, if they do well, I'll definitely pick out some and put them in a tub with a bubbler for the winter and see how they do.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They did not do well in my pond either but grew great in the concrete tub and will go in the stock tank .I have a walk out basement and it was a regular window and funny it is on the shadier part of the house but gets decent light .

It is on this side of the house near the basement door as I could not drag it very far with water in it it is right under the master bedrooms master baths ,the 2 windows there on the side

Ask a Question