Algae on plants and what to do about bullfrog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks, Addy! I was hoping that more plants would do it. But, besides hyacinths and lettuce, are there any more floating plants that I should try? I know it's getting somewhat late in the summer to find some, but so that I will know for next year. And, I'm sure next year the hyacinths will be put in sooner, and will grow quicker as my pond will be far more balanced by that time.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That's really about the two best floating plants, there is also snowflake but it's a hit and miss if it will take off. Some ponds it does great in others fight trying to keep it alive, water Lily's are some of the best show plants that will give you lots of surface area coverage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Country, You can try putting potted plants next to your pond. It will shade it a little. Use anything that stops the direct sun from hitting your water. I am throwing out about 5-10 floating plants a day now from my little pond because they are growing so fast. I have water lettuce and water hyacinth as my floaters. Also I have found they don't grow well if you use a lot of salt.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
country can you get more plants for your pond now cuz if you get hardies they will make it through the winter and will still grow like crazy right now, like Parrots Feather, more lilies, anything else that is hardy so you'll have it ready to go full force next Spring. Love that big fat frog :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have penny wort around the edge of the pond, long roots, the fish love to hide in them, and growing like crazy. See if you can get some of that country.
I now have 4............water lettuce! four lol used to have one, fishin the one that made it here not mush when I won your contest.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
probably the marsh jw, it was given to me, by a neighbor with a small pond. May not even be pennywort, but that is what I was told.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Does it look like the photos in the link I posted? Guess it must be hardy then right?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The water primrose is also growing like crazy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
That pennywort looks perfect, now if I can only find some locally. I might check with a lady that has a greenhouse in the country, who also has a pond! Maybe she has some or knows of someone who does!
OK, I've been busy today making my bog bigger! The first try was too far, so had to shorten it up a little, just like before. I guess I plan too big. LOL But, I'm very happy with it and it's about 3 times as big as before. Moved the plants around a bit, and need pea gravel to help hold everything in place, but for now it's doing fine.
View attachment 7174

View attachment 7175
Oh, and just for the record, I have at least 3 bullfrogs, Big Daddy, and 2 smaller ones, although both very nice size as well. I guess his croaking the last 2 days has brought his "girls"! And, while redoing the bog, I had to drain it down most of the way to get the wall out from between the old and new, and found quite a few tadpoles, probably 1.5-2" long. I suspect bullfrog tadpoles? They are not near as large as the ones I saw in my farm pond this spring, but maybe they are still growing, I don't know. And Big Daddy let me pick him up when I turned over the hose caddy and he was underneath it. I simply set him on the wall, and he was fine with that! Tonight I hope to be able to sit and watch after the flood lights come on and see if there is any bug eating action.

Attachments

• Bog expansion filling again.jpg
    Bog expansion filling again.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 277
  • Box expansion.jpg
    Box expansion.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 245
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, was looking at some saved sites on Ebay for pond plants and lo and behold there was a pennywort plant that I had saved! It's still available. But, the best news is that I'm about 99% sure that the plants growing fanatically in my farm pond, that I brought some to my koi pond, are water primrose! I'm very excited about that! I know I have the identical flower, and the leaves look exactly like what I have. So ..... if anyone would like some, I'd be thrilled to send you some, only ask for shipping. OR, if anyone has any pennywort that they would like to think down, I'll trade! :) Um ... is it ok to do business like this on here? If not, I apologize, but I'm not selling anything, I'm trading or giving away, right?! :bowdown:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
No problem selling, trading, buying, or working deals as here long as it's hobbyist to hobbyist. There are a couple of dealers that have been given the ok from Ian for offering deals but as dealers they must get that ok first.
Wish I had some pennywort to off I would gladly send for shipping but I pulled mine out and swapped to Parrots feather and now Mare's tale as they both seem to do better year round here in our zone, Pennywort doesn't do well in the heat here, grows great in the winter and early spring but my early summer it looks like a bunck of wadded up sting with algae growing on it until it cools off again.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Pennywort is a plant that would prolly like it here in our climate. I bet it grows somewhere around here in a lake or stream. I will keep my eye out for some as I would like to have some also.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
j.w said:
Pennywort is a plant that would prolly like it here in our climate. I bet it grows somewhere around here in a lake or stream. I will keep my eye out for some as I would like to have some also.

it survives in cold weather too most of the leaves die back but the runners keep going till spring :bowdown:

Ask a Question