Algae on plants and what to do about bullfrog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, I have tons of frog pics now, but I won't bore you all with them! Turns out I "think" that the smaller frogs are juvenile bullfrogs. I looked on a website for bullfrogs and they look identical to the young guys. The young ones are easier to photograph, but "King George" sits on his "throne" (pot from cattail plant) every evening. And, yesterday, there was a 2" red slider baby turtle in the skimmer. He was there this morning and tonight. Wondering if he will be a problem, or if he can stay. Any opinions would be appreciated. Don't want him trying to dig into my liner in winter time. But, if he found my pond, so with his siblings, I suspect. He was fun to watch tonight, even tried to eat koi food over and over again. Will have to give him my leftover turtle food from when I had a slider, .... that I put in my farm pond this past spring. :)

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
cool story, jagan. Fish tries to eat tadpole. Tadpole escapes to grow into monster frog, returning to eat same fish. Could be a horror movie or something like that :)

Addy1, I guess I was in a mental fugue. I actually used this technique with Round Up, not 7. Doing it with dry weather is best bet.

FYI - Round up is safe for birds, fish, and other wildlife, but it is death for amphibians like frogs and toads who ingest it through their skin. Please don't use roundup around your ponds, unless you actually don't want amphibians around your pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I only use it in the gardens away from the pond, I did not know that, thanks, back to hand pulling darn weeds, do not want to hurt my critters.

Published in the journal Ecological Applications, the findings showed that Roundup™ was deadly to tadpoles at lower concentrations than previously tested and that the presence of soil did not dilute the chemical's effects. While his previous research showed that Roundup™ was deadly to tadpoles, this study found that the product kills frogs in addition to tadpoles. Previous research established it is the product's surfactant (polyethoxylated tallowamine), added to make the herbicide penetrate plant leaves, and not the active herbicide (glyphosate), that is lethal to amphibians.
The figures from the study show just how deadly the herbicide is. Even when applied at concentrations that are just one-third of the maximum concentrations expected in nature, Roundup™ still killed more than 70 percent of tadpoles raised in outdoor tanks. Relyea examined whether the presence of soil in the tanks could mitigate the effects of the herbicide but found that it made no difference. In tanks with soil, after exposure to the maximum concentration expected in nature, nearly all of the tadpoles from three species had died.
For grown-up tadpoles, the results were no less worrying. The researchers found that the recommended application of Roundup™ killed up to 86 percent of terrestrial frogs after only one day. "The most striking result from the experiments was that a chemical designed to kill plants killed 98 percent of all tadpoles within three weeks and 79 percent of all frogs within one day," Relyea concluded.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yikes I have used it before but not around ponds just along a treeline out by the road. It's been years since I used it. Thanks for the info Joanie and addy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Here's my first leopard frog that I've ever noticed on my pond! He was sooo adorable, and didn't care about me taking pics. In fact, one of these pics was taken at maybe 3' range. Saw another one in the road ditch while I was mowing this morning, so hopefully more will show up. They look more like tree frogs, and there are very few trees around me so maybe that's why I don't have many.
Leopard Frog.JPGLeopard Frog 2.JPG
Then, had to share this last picture. There are 5 frogs in and amongst the lilies. Can you find all of them? :) Have fun!
Five Frogs.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Haha, I was sure there were 5 when I took the pic, and I had to look really hard, too. There are 3 on top of lily pads, one large one just below the white lily, and there is a smaller one "floating" about 1/3 way up from bottom of left side. Several of my smaller bullfrogs (if that is what they are) float on the water, all splayed out, rather than sit on the pads. The big guys can't sit on pads, but love the primrose to hang onto.
Just got done snorkeling in my pond, LOL What fun that was!!! The best part was that the fish were not afraid of me at all, in fact they followed me around and I had to make sure I didn't catch any of them in my net as I slowly scooped up any debris from the bottom. Also had a landscape stone I was sure was supposed to be under my pump ... it was across the pond, and another stone that had fallen in from a ledge that I retrieved/moved. All mucky water now, but it will clear. I'll be watching the skimmer and waterfall closely for pumps getting clogged.
It's a beautiful day today, so heading out to the deck listen to some music, read a book, and relax on my chaise with a drink of rum slush. Yumm!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I see them and how lucky you are to have them.
Never would have thought of snorkeling in the pond to remove debris, lol! If it's nice and hot where you are I bet it feels good to get in there and cool off. Enjoy your rummy drink and the nice weather!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Sissy, I'd share with anyone that wanted to stop by! I made a gallon of it yesterday. LOL It's yummy, and oh so delicious when it's this hot! Yesterday was worse, though, and yes, it was very cooling to get into the pond and swim around. Was great having the mask and snorkel, too, as I could see clearly to the bottom to clean up stuff. I can't imagine doing it blindly, but then I bet most of you can see clearly to the bottom anyhow. :) My water is clearing up very nicely, just stuff starting to float, and the wind is blowing it away from the skimmer, so by morning, after the wind lies for the night, the skimmer will be full again, I would guess.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice frogs, did see the five! the one floating was a little hard to pick out. Our frogs here don't share water, very territorial, one per pond. The large pond has two, one on each end.

And what do you put in your rum slush? my honey likes a burbon slush his mom used to make, we found her receipt just recently.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Actually, on the rum slush, I have a bourbon slush recipe that I usually put rum in, because I like it better (no headaches LOL). The one I made is really easy! One can (12 oz) each of frozen OJ and lemonade. Put in gallon container, add 1 qt cranberry juice, rum to taste (I use only about 8 oz, but for people who like more, I think the recipe calls for maybe 16 oz!) and about 2-4 cups of water. I fill the container to about 1" from the top with the water. Don't fill it totally full or when it freezes the lid won't stay shut. Stir it every 6 hours or so, to keep it slushy. Then since I don't use as much rum, it gets pretty solid, and I just shave it off with a spoon.
My bourbon recipe calls for unsweetened tea instead of the cranberry juice, and I think a 6 oz lemonade and 12 oz OJ. Both are very good and refreshing, especially in this heat wave we have been having, although today was very pleasant!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like the recipe we have, she did add some sugar to it also. Two large tea bags brewed strong in 2 cups of water, then the lemonade and oj and some sugar.

If you like margaritas, try a motor home recipe, 6 oz of beer, 6 oz can of limeaid, 6 oz of tequila, throw in blender with ice...........
We used to make it when sand dune running in arizona and utah. Burned out a ton of blenders...............lmao No headache either.

Ask a Question