Algae on plants and what to do about bullfrog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have green water still, new pond less than 2 months old. I'm now noticing algae growing on the lilly stems and leaves. Is this ok, or will it hurt the plants? View attachment 6983
This is what it looks like tonight. It doesn't seem to be fading or anything, just wanted to see if it was a good thing or bad. Also, my hyacinth roots and roots from any floating plants are covered with algae. None of it is the string type of algae, just the green stuff. If I "fluff" the roots, it comes off.
View attachment 6984
The frog in the picture is only about 2" long, but double the size of the little frogs I call peepers that I've seen so far. Anyone know what type of frog he is?
Also, I noticed a bull frog in my bog tonight! I thought it was a statue someone put there. But, by the time I got ready with the camera, he jumped under water. He is minimum 5" sitting. Now I'm wondering if he is what caused my white Comet to go missing about 5 days ago ... I don't mind him eating small fish, and assume he probably did not eat the Comet since it was about 4-5" long, but now I'm wondering. Can a bullfrog eat a fish almost as long as him? Of course, a 5" Comet is only about 3" of fish, rest is tail, so considering that, I guess he could have eaten it. And, what do I do now? I have a farm pond full of bullfrogs, and a HUGE granddaddy bullfrog across the road in the ditch. This is not him, but he's pretty good sized. I'd guess the granddaddy frog at 7-8" sitting. Oh, and I also have koi that the smallest are about 4-5" long. Do I need to worry? If so, I'll be hunting this bullfrog down and getting rid of him.

Attachments

• algae on lillies.JPG
    algae on lillies.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 333
  • frog about 2 inches long.jpg
    frog about 2 inches long.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 364
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, went back outside and the bullfrog was on his "throne" again!
View attachment 6542[/ATTACH]
I am NOT a good photographer when I have to zoom in too far, and maybe the humidity fogged the lens some, too. No excuses but just bad photography, but hopefully you can see the pics well enough to judge his size. He is straddling the top of a barley round "bale", which is 4" across the top edge.

Attachments

• Bullfrog.JPG
    Bullfrog.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 335
  • Bullfrog side view.JPG
    Bullfrog side view.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 355

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some one did post that bullfrogs can eat small fish, birds etc. So it may have ate your comet.

The algae on the plants is normal. It won't hurt them, my lilies have a little on their stems and they are blooming great.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yeah.. the string alge is a food source for the fish, its drawing nutrients from the water as any plant does..it is actually aiding in clearing up your green water by using nutrients that would otherwise feed the green. doesnt appear that the bullfrog is of sufficient size to pose much of a threat to fish larger than fry, and juveniles under 2".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Haha, that was an awesome video! Fishin said to put a light out at night to give him some added bugs drawn to his dinner table, and keep him happy, so I will try that. Will be fun to watch him eat them, too! I don't mind him eating the small goldies, in fact I could easily buy feeders, but I have seen the little ones again this morning, so I think he's ok. I just today saw a goldfish I had not seen for 2 weeks, so I suspect they are happily eating algae down under, and I just can't see them! This morning, he was sitting on my floating rope ring on top of the hyacinths, but jumped into the water when I stupidly tried to get closer for a clearer shot of him. :) I don't mind having predators to eat most of any fry I may have in my pond, as I don't want 100 fish next spring! But, I just don't want him eating what I have bought and put in my pond. Same with large koi, they can eat the eggs and fry, if some survive then I will have fun watching the babies grow.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good attitude country, it is easy to get over run by fry........... Next year, I doubt so many of mine will survive.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow that video was a learning experience. Maybe I should be glad I don't have bullfrogs but would still enjoy some small frogs. I think you are right country, you fish are prolly just feasting down under :alieneyesa:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sticking with my lil maryland green frogs jw! bull frog moves in I will move it back out!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Country; For what it's worth, fish are measured from the tip of the snout to the caudal peduncle, the narrow part just before the tail fin. Your missing fish was, therefore, 3" long, not 5". John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, thanks for the pointer, John. That's why I said it was 5", but 2" of that was tail. ;-) The bullfrog is there tonight. I added 2 solar powered spotlights on the far side of the pond for gathering bugs at night for the big guy. He can stay, unless and until I see him with big fish in his mouth, then he will have to leave.
Also got 6 more lillies at Menards. They were still marked half price, they charged me full, then had to give me credit for the half price since THEY forgot to remove the sale sticker! Love it when I get the good deals. Now, if Wally World would just discount their poor perennials and get them to someone who will WATER them! Geesh! Saw some adorable little shubunkins at WM, first time I've seen some pretty ones. Even their 4" koi were not bad looking, but not near as nice as what I got 2 weekends ago.

jagan314

"CARP DIEM"
Reaction score
I had a bullfrog in my first pond I built as a kid. I raised from a tadpole.. He got huge and sat at the same spot all the time.. I miss that frog.. YOU are so lucky. My frog didn't go after the fish, but he would go after humming birds, dragon flies, small sparrows, lizards, big bugs, smaller frogs, even mice if he they showed... anything that moved that he could catch OUTSIDE of the water.. (though I think I heard they would go for fish if they could catch them).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Jagan, I think I'm really going to enjoy this guy! It's a challenge to spot him before he spots me. Tonight, he saw me first, but I was in a hurry to get the spotlights set since the rain had started. Maybe if it's sunny tomorrow, the solar panels will be charged enough to draw some bugs. Then I bet I will see a show at dusk! :)

Ask a Question