Algae question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh dear! Don't want that. My under gravel filter is actually two filter systems. The first under gravel system is composed of 4 - 30ft perforated pipes and two 14 ft perforated pipes. These are three inch pipe with 1/4 inch holes every 6 inches. They are buried in river rock, maybe 3/4 inch round (don't remember the exact size). Then, air stones are set at an elbow(1/4 I have around 150 ft of 3 inch pipe with 1/4 inch holes every six inches. That
Oh dear! I don't want that. I will draw a layout of the filtration system. I think that will be easier to explain. It's too late now, but I'll draw it tomorrow. Thank you for helping me. I wish I had joined you all a year ago before I laid down the plumbing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A 54,000 gallon pond with a 4200 gph pump and a pea gravel substrate.
Sooner or later you're going to run into nuisance algae problems unless you have a maintenance routine in mind that will deal with detritus buildup.
You mentioned an under gravel filter - can you describe it's construction and layout plus what is the depth of the pea gravel?

OK, I wanted to get you acurate information. so I went out and measured my pond. I'm so silly, my pond liner is 40x60. The actual edges of my pond are only 39x36. This is good news. So, my 60 gym pump should be fine, right? Or should I add a second one. So, the three inch pipe is, I believe, are just like an under gravel filter we find in aquariums. They are buried beneath a couple inches of 3/4 River Rock. They use air to suction water down through the gravel. Some of those pipes push air and water up at the surface and two push the water into the pea gravel lining the edges of the pond where plants are. Then I have one 30 ft pipe, also with 1/4 inch holes every 6 inches. It carries water to the 60 gym pump, then to a sand filter, and then some water returns via the Waterfall and some returns via the soaker hose in the pea gravel with plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
OK, I wanted to get you acurate information. so I went out and measured my pond. I'm so silly, my pond liner is 40x60. The actual edges of my pond are only 39x36. This is good news. So, my 60 gym pump should be fine, right? Or should I add a second one. So, the three inch pipe is, I believe, are just like an under gravel filter we find in aquariums. They are buried beneath a couple inches of 3/4 River Rock. They use air to suction water down through the gravel. Some of those pipes push air and water up at the surface and two push the water into the pea gravel lining the edges of the pond where plants are. Then I have one 30 ft pipe, also with 1/4 inch holes every 6 inches. It carries water to the 60 gym pump, then to a sand filter, and then some water returns via the Waterfall and some returns via the soaker hose in the pea gravel with plants.

That's a novel approach.;)
UGF's in aquariums though, rely on a plenum that's under the entire substrate.
I wonder about the ability of the airlift method you are using to draw water through the gravel and up into the planted area. I think what will happen is that there will be a small amount of water flow through the area that's closest to the airlift, and that's it. Plus you have the pipes spread out every 6 feet or so. The substrate between the pipes will still accumulate detritus.

The new measurements do reduce the total gallon volume of your pond, but what's required for long term success is enough water circulation so that detritus doesn't have a chance to accumulate and can be in suspension until removed by mechanical means. Sand filters are designed to remove fine particles from swimming pools, not the larger debris associated with ponds that have plants and wildlife. Your pond volume is still 31,000 gallons. You need about 10 times your current water flow to deal with settling detritus, and that's if we can find an effective water circulation pattern.

What are your long term plans for the pond?

At this point I think it's going to be a lot of work and expense to design your pond with sufficient water circulation and filtration so that it will be successful in the long term.
Depending on how much organic debris gets blown into the pond during the year, and from my experience, I think you will be dealing with an uncontrollable nuisance algae problem within 3 years and will be looking to disassemble the pond.
Sorry, I wish I had a more optimistic opinion for you.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Sand filters are designed to remove fine particles from swimming pools, not the larger debris associated with ponds that have plants and wildlife.

I strongly agree with @MitchM. A sand filter is the absolute wrong choice for use at any level of filtration on a pond. It will be clogging on an almost daily basis.

Ask a Question