Algae

Reaction score
CountryEscape said:
Cape, so when you go to the store to get another bag of kitty litter, look for the same yellow bag to make sure it was the right kind. It's cheap enough, but I know what you're saying, if it was still around, you could have bagged it up pronto and started the process of getting rid of the string algae.
It was more the DUH reaction I got LOL ... I had no idea he used that for the lilies ... I knew he used it in the garage for oil spills, etc working on cars... I never got around to telling him why I wanted it (he was in/out) LOL.

Reaction score
Here are the final results. The pond has finally cleared up enough to be able to see the bottom, but I am still having to pull a little string algae out. It is getting less and less. There are areas where I have to scrub off the dead algae, killed by the clay, and those areas seem to stay clean and free from new string algae growth. I still have no shade, so I'm assuming it is partly due to having the clay bags still in the pond.
I'm hoping it will become even more clear, as there is a bit of a hazyness in the clarity of the water. But, at least I can see the fish and where they like to go. And, I can see my lillies, as they are starting to grow, pretty fast now.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can always use the white batting stuff in the basket under your falls to clear any remaining small particles that are floating about.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yes P42S, you should try using some quilt batting under any place that water runs, and let it catch the small stuff. Just have to rinse it out every day or couple of days, but it sure does the trick to clearing out the last stuff in the water. Also, Sissy says if it's catching lots of algae, dead or alive, rinse the batting in a bucket of peroxide, and that will kill any remaining algae cells, before you put it back to work clearing your pond water.

Ask a Question