Algae

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what kind of algae I have. I have a lot of algae that looks like strings rising from the bottom of pond and when I try to scoop int out it just breaks up into tiny pieces that the net cant get out. Definitely not string or carpet algae. Have it every spring until plants start to grow across surface but this year seems to be worse. The water looks clear until I try to remove it and it breaks up.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have seen people use brushes with long handles and just twist it on like cotton candy

Reaction score
Tried getting picture but it doesn't turn out. I tried a toilet bowl brush but it doesn't work, it just breaks up into tiny pieces. Its not like string algae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Tried getting picture but it doesn't turn out. I tried a toilet bowl brush but it doesn't work, it just breaks up into tiny pieces. Its not like string algae.

I don't know what it is, but I have it too..and you're right, it's not string algae. Mine settles in heaps on the bottom of the pond and I've been netting it out with my pool net. I haven't had it before and am perplexed, as it appeared, well before I began feeding and my filters have been on for over a month. The water is clear, I should probably test my water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't think that's what I have. I'll try for a picture tomorrow. Mine nets easily with my fine pool net, but would go through my fish net.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sounds like a filamentous algae to me, it can present in many different ways. I get some like you describe in the spring but then goes away. They look like cave stalagmites

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Sounds like a filamentous algae to me, it can present in many different ways. I get some like you describe in the spring but then goes away. They look like cave stalagmites

I googled this and its definitely what I have! Thanks for the information :)

Reaction score
Yes, that sounds like what I have,mine went away last year but its terrible this year!

Ask a Question