Almost Done!!!

Reaction score
But if I do get fish I could go ahead and put them in my neighbors pond its really nice it holds close to 250,000 gallons when full its used for irrigation and its filled with rock and even has a liner
IMAG0720.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow, did you say 250,000 gals? Unreal!!! If you put them in there they will be hard to catch if you want to put them back in your pond. That is a good idea tho for the first winter anyways to see how yours does. I guess you could just leave them in his pond and get new ones every year or just see how your pond does w/o fish in it this winter and try the air stone, heater or continuous pump running(w/o fish. Maybe your pond won't freeze solid?
Dunno.

Reaction score
I know its a giant pond so I thought it might be hard to catch them I might try something that you mentioned I also want to get some hardy water lilies in soon so that the fish have some kind of shade I still also need to fill the pond up with gravel before I do anything else

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
smcox1 said:
I know its a giant pond so I thought it might be hard to catch them I might try something that you mentioned I also want to get some hardy water lilies in soon so that the fish have some kind of shade I still also need to fill the pond up with gravel before I do anything else

Fill with gravel? Are you sure you want to do that? Lots of members will tell you that's not a great idea. personally I would not recommend any rocks on the bottom, Looks great at first, but within a year or two they are a serious headache and problem that will have to be dealt with.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh boy, I sure would not be going w/ gravel on the bottom as fishin posted. It's up to you but it creates a biological nightmare unless you are going to remove all that gravel and clean it off every time it builds up w/ gunk and then put it back in. All the bacteria will build up in the gravel and rot. The fish will not be happy, might get diseased and die off. If you are doing it for looks soon you will not even see it anymore as it will turn black/brown/green and look just like a black liner. If you keep it bare and just the liner a nice smooth short algae will coat the walls and be beneficial to your pond and fishes and you never want to clean it off. Only thing you want to clean is the gunk off the bottom with a net or a vacuum and it makes it so much more easier w/o gravel or rocks on the bottom. Just my opinion and your choice :lol:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LOL agree with jw and fishin, used to have rocks on the bottom in previous ponds, this pond none, they disappear below the muck. The algae grew out of the rocks like trees in a previous pond and could not get rid of the muck the algae loved. What a pain, finally went for a swim and got rid of the rocks and did it stink!

Reaction score
I know how nasty it gets my neighbors pond that's the top picture the liner slid down so we had to move all the rock and stretch the liner then put the rock back and it was gross on the bottom. But I thought it would b better to have the liner covered? Or no?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Have to agree with Fishin, Addy, and JW on this one.

No I would not cover with gravel. Algae will grow on the liner and you won't even see the liner in a few months.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is how the liner looks from 2-5 feet down, it looks like rock, natural bottom. This liner has been in for around 1 year.

DSC01627.jpg

Reaction score
Well because my pond is pretty shallow and recently it has been hot and some days windy I have to add a little water every couple of days. But the bottom already looks like that addy so I wasn't sure if that was good or not

Reaction score
So my next project I'm going to build a little dock like this one
IMAG0739.jpg

Right in this area going into the pond
IMAG0728.jpg

What do u guys think?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
my pond is only 18" deep and am thinking I will drain it also and bring my fish in for the winter....nebraska isn't a warm spot in the winter just like colorado

Reaction score
That's what I will probably do because I know it would freeze solid because I have irrigation ponds in my field and if I have to go break the ice for the horses it can be really thick

Ask a Question