Votes: 1 6.7%
  • try to keep finding it, but where

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • could it be the plants

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just don't feel you're dealing with an actual pond leak. The standard "wisdom" says that if it's a leak it will be consistent. An inconsistent water loss like you are experiencing has to be something else - temperature, some change in how the system runs at night, SOMETHING. I just wish you could pinpoint it as I know you are so frustrated.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I just don't feel you're dealing with an actual pond leak. The standard "wisdom" says that if it's a leak it will be consistent. An inconsistent water loss like you are experiencing has to be something else - temperature, some change in how the system runs at night, SOMETHING. I just wish you could pinpoint it as I know you are so frustrated.

I agree with Lisak1. At the risk of sounding stupid, have you tried the old method of turning all of the pumps off and observing if the leak remains? If it does then the leak is in the pond basin, if not, it is definitely in a location where there is water movement...skimmer, waterfall, filter etc.
Your set-up is somewhat unique, so we may not be aware of possible suspicious areas. This uniqueness may also be why this is an inconsistent water loss.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
First night I turned off pump 1 this tank and lost over 2 inch's and last night turned off 2nd pump which is this filter pic 2 .no skimmer and lost 1 inch by the time it started to rain at 3 AM .Monday night I had turned off both pumps and lost over 2 inch's again and each time was after 1 am since that was the last time I looked.When I fall asleep after working outside ,I fall asleep .I fought like crazy last night to stay up and then the rain came and it is still raining yet . .Filters will only leak back into the pond since they are in liners that are directed back into the pond .Could the plants be really drinking up this much water and why at night when there is so much dew that it is dripping off every thing including the plants .Could it really be a defective pond liner .I have never been so confused by a pond leak .I thought it was an easy fix when I took the banana plants out and then thought same thing about when I took out a lot of the other plants .I know how this pond is put together since I did it and really thought it would be easy for me to find the problem

Attachments

• tanks and bulk head adapters 056.JPG
    tanks and bulk head adapters 056.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 205
  • tanks and bulk head adapters 011.JPG
    tanks and bulk head adapters 011.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 194

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oops forgot other filter

Attachments

• tanks and bulk head adapters 055.JPG
    tanks and bulk head adapters 055.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 190
  • tanks and bulk head adapters 054.JPG
    tanks and bulk head adapters 054.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 181

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Depending on specie, plants may or may not lose water at night. However, even in those specie that this nocturnal loss occurs, the rate of loss is never as high as the rate of loss during daytime hours.
If you are losing water with the pumps turned off, then you definitely have a leak somewhere in the basin liner. he only way to determine the location of this leak is to leave all of the pumps off and let the water level drop till it stabilizes. At this water level, or slightly above, is where you will find the leak.
Any plumbing/piping that feeds water into the pond basin whose outlet is below water level must be raised above water level when the pimps are turned off, otherwise siphoning may occur.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I think I noticed a flap of liner covering a waterfall.
If the leak is caused from capillary action, I imagine that the "leak" should drop the water level down to the bottom of the flap, or where the suction from capillary action is sufficient to draw the water out of the pond.
As the temperature changes, I can see how the effective level of the capillary action would fluctuate, giving mixed results.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Water never gets up to that flap it is just there to protect to epdm liner from sun exposure ..That has block under those 2 liners that keeps water from going up and over it and water never gets that high . it always stays 4 inch's under that flap .Epdm goes up and over it and up to the retaining wall block in the back .Where the knife is I pulled a piece of the liner out and that is 15 inch's above that filter pond .I have the liner neatly folded and held in place by the rocks..I actually did leave the water water drop to 15 inch's and then had to stop it there because i knew I would be putting a strain on my well pump and to replace it costs me almost 2000 dollars and that was with my help in pulling the pipe out of the well by hand ,not easy when it is 400 ft long .. I think i am just going to take the one waterfall filter pond apart early and hope for the best that i do not foul up the water to much and if it is the liner then the fish and pond will have to go to a new home and hole will get filled in and I will give up .I already have people who want it and will do all the work to take it out and move fish .sorry i thought pics would come with the quote to show the knife
First night I turned off pump 1 this tank and lost over 2 inch's and last night turned off 2nd pump which is this filter pic 2 .no skimmer and lost 1 inch by the time it started to rain at 3 AM .Monday night I had turned off both pumps and lost over 2 inch's again and each time was after 1 am since that was the last time I looked.When I fall asleep after working outside ,I fall asleep .I fought like crazy last night to stay up and then the rain came and it is still raining yet . .Filters will only leak back into the pond since they are in liners that are directed back into the pond .Could the plants be really drinking up this much water and why at night when there is so much dew that it is dripping off every thing including the plants .Could it really be a defective pond liner .I have never been so confused by a pond leak .I thought it was an easy fix when I took the banana plants out and then thought same thing about when I took out a lot of the other plants .I know how this pond is put together since I did it and really thought it would be easy for me to find the problem

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
moving them to a permanent home may be my only recourse .If i pull the filter apart and this does not resolve issue then said to say I won't be able to do this any longer .As it is I hurt my shoulder when I was out there before .I was pulling plants and slipped on the wet grass .It started raining again so stuck inside again .I am not pitying myself just coming to turns of what might have to be .Been looking at my so called dream retirement house also that slowly is loosing it's appeal

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Wished I'd never seen this thread, I like the happy proud sissy better. Wish there was something I could do.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know you are out in the woods- This is only happening at night? Is it possible you have deer or something coming in at night? Have you tried recording video of the pond at night to see if there is something going on?

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Wait a minute... water disappears at night, neighbors well went dry last week.. Hmmmmm, :whistle: maybe that water is going somewhere.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My sister told me a heard of elephants on there tippy toes are drinking the water ,I really don't think deer could drink that much water and looked atr the cameras and nothing .Right now with all this rain we are getting it is really full .I am still proud of what I do by myself but disappointed i cannot figure this out .I feel like I am letting my fish children down .I have been in contact with Eric about it and we did discuss the liner .

Ask a Question