An idea for supplemental surface shade....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I found these trays (the ones in the water, not the printed one) when we did some cleaning the other day, and got the idea that -- if they floated -- they would be perfect as supplemental surface shade for the pond and for the QT. And, THEY FLOATED! My lilies haven't filled in very much and there is a lot of "bare" water, so, PERFECT!

Around these parts, they're sold as "crawfish trays," but they show up in just about every store starting in early spring. I think they're about 16" or 18" in diameter, sturdy plastic, come in almost unlimited colors (I've only seen solid colors, though....), are only a few dollars each, and are advertised as being BPA free. I had 1 black one and 2 blue ones of this type. And a purple and blue one in a slightly different style (see pic of QT). The black one almost disappears in the water.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They do tend to move around with breezes. Not a problem, yet, but guessing if you really needed them to stay put, in one area, could drill a little hole and insert some fishing line to make an anchor. I'll have to take a few days to observe the sunshine pattern and where the trays end up over time....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Very cool idea! And the colorful ones look like pretty too - like floating pond art!
True! And if you were talented [and motivated] you COULD paint something inside the platter. Couldn't you see a colorul koi "swimming" on a deep blue background... Hmmmm..... I wonder what kind of craft paint would adhere and stand up to sun & water......:rolleyes:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
ADDENDUM TO THIS POST:

If you do this, be sure to have plenty of air in your pond via lots of surface movement -- air stones, spitters, waterfalls, etc.!

Since the surface of the water is where gasses are exchanged -- as well as heat -- you might be compromising one for the other. There is a fine balance.

Warm water can't carry as much oxygen as cool water, so your "warm," unshaded pond is likely already low in oxygen. Placing a solid object on the surface [like the party platter] means that much LESS area for the water to off-gas toxic gasses and pick up O2.

No, I'm not willing to "experiment" on my fishies, and I haven't researched it, so this is based on speculation.

Just something to keep in mind......

Ask a Question