Another Day Another Bog!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
But don’t ever say, “It will look good on my resume,” during a BOR!
NO! Of course not! Never never! But it is significant and truly does speak to character, work ethic, determination, follow-through -- and all that other good stuff that scouting promotes. Once an Eagle, always an Eagle!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
But don’t ever say, “It will look good on my resume,” during a BOR!
Hey, Turtlemommy -- a side item - did you ever see the post I tagged you in - about my opportunity to have a turtle live in my pond? I would love your input! :D

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey, Turtlemommy -- a side item - did you ever see the post I tagged you in - about my opportunity to have a turtle live in my pond? I would love your input! :D
I do recall, but will have to go back and reread. My turtles are box turtles, so other than needing water to occasionally soak in (shallow areas), they aren’t aquatic — I don’t have experience with the aquatic kind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I do recall, but will have to go back and reread. My turtles are box turtles, so other than needing water to occasionally soak in (shallow areas), they aren’t aquatic — I don’t have experience with the aquatic kind.
Oh - OK! I remembered that wrong. I will stop hijacking the post. Thank you! :)

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Hello fine peoples of this wonderful online forum, I am working on the planning for my eagle project, and decided to revamp a pond at my local botanical gardens. The pond in its current state needs quite a bit of help, but the main issue is a massive green water problem. The botanical garden is currently using algaecide ( no wonder they cant keep fish alive ) but we all know there is only one real way to solve a green water problem. Here is the plan: a large ish 10-12 x 8-10 bog with a depth of 14-18 ish inches. The gardens already has an unused skimmer box in place, so I will utilize that to pull water from the pond. I will post photos below.

What a great project! I'm not as up on the technical issues as others, but as it looks like the pond originally had a Japanese garden aesthetic, the one area where I might be able to help is with the aesthetic issues later on, especially when it comes to plant arrangement.

You're going to really make a difference to that poor overgrown pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Great project and kudos for volunteering!

I also think 3/4" manifold pipes would be too small. Keep the 2" throughout. You don't want to chance any clogging.
Remember the thread where one member used a garden hose for the output of the pump? It kept clogging. You don't want that occurring under all that gravel.

Also: are you sizing the bog large enough? That pond looks pretty big for the bog size you are planning.
Remember, the bog surface area should be minimum 30% of the pond's surface area.
With all the effort, you want to make sure you get maximum efficiency.

Good luck with your project and looking forward to seeing it's progress and finished product.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
What a great project! I'm not as up on the technical issues as others, but as it looks like the pond originally had a Japanese garden aesthetic, the one area where I might be able to help is with the aesthetic issues later on, especially when it comes to plant arrangement.

You're going to really make a difference to that poor overgrown pond!
That would be great! I will consult with you once we have all of the invasive stuff pulled out of there.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Great project and kudos for volunteering!

I also think 3/4" manifold pipes would be too small. Keep the 2" throughout. You don't want to chance any clogging.
Remember the thread where one member used a garden hose for the output of the pump? It kept clogging. You don't want that occurring under all that gravel.

Also: are you sizing the bog large enough? That pond looks pretty big for the bog size you are planning.
Remember, the bog surface area should be minimum 30% of the pond's surface area.
With all the effort, you want to make sure you get maximum efficiency.

Good luck with your project and looking forward to seeing it's progress and finished product.
I am honestly not sure if it is at 30%, but it is the most space we have to work with, and I figure anything will help. I believe it may be around 25%.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am honestly not sure if it is at 30%, but it is the most space we have to work with, and I figure anything will help. I believe it may be around 25%.
Way better than nothing! I have had small bogs they all help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you think you don't have the adequate % go deeper and more stone .

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I haven’t posted here in a hot second due to a bunch of setbacks from paperwork to funding to my laziness, but the bulk of the project has just been knocked out!

A8D223AF-D6C1-47C2-B46F-A1C56BAA9B01.jpeg
3FEB94F2-6583-4ACF-B3A7-CB4584F8D357.jpeg

Built a new stream crossing bridge - replaced one about 20 years old that was just barely holding on.
FAA2C247-D871-418F-A6EE-4935A15E144A.jpeg
installed an upflow wetland filtration system - I not able to start running it until the spring when the weather warms up, but the infrastructure is in place!
C8BF4A4B-3B26-41E5-863C-7099259AA82C.jpeg

This is the waterfall for the upflow wetland filter, I am sure it will need to be tweaked when I have water running.

Other than this we cleared out some of the invasive foliage and freshened up the pond borders - unfortunately I can’t use most of the photos as they have a whole crew of people in them, it was a fun work filled weekend!

Ask a Question