Another pond of sorts...

Reaction score
I was told it was easy to save the taro plants (how to "store" them) but the biggest point was to keep growing them over the winter. Our growing season just isnt long enough to get a lot of growth in one season. We have so many house plants as it is, it really isnt feasible to put them into the normal living areas of the house. I was quite whiney about this whole subject last night, and again told hubby to just use the kiddie pools for the most important plants. I've kind of written off trying to save any of the water hyacinths, as there is a good deal of brown on them now, and hubby was razzing me again this morning that they are shocked beyond being saved with NINE of them blooming this morning LOL. Some of the ties he planned on using are in my old garden area (a temp spot used due to the yard being a construction zone), and instead of wasting the time getting them, as he left for work, told me to write up a materials list, and just use 2 x 6" construction (beefed up knee wall style, lined with plywood)... Actually more important than the plants, he knew I wanted an extra containment area for a just in case situation, if we had to bring fish in, so he isnt letting go of the project. I just feel bad. He has the same bug I am getting over, and his work hours SHOULD be slowing down, but instead, they have increased. In this economy I shouldnt be complaining that there is plenty of work, but dont want him having to deal with another project.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I kept some taro's growing over the winter, in a tub, they put-zed along. I also kept some in a box, stored dry. Between the two, the dried bulbs actually grew better than the ones I kept going over winter. They caught up and passed the ones that grew all winter (the over winter ones, never grew in size, just kept some leaves on them)

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Hubby and I went yesterday to grab another liner to set up a real area in the basement for over wintering plants. Not sure what size this "pond" will be. It will depend on what we have for spare parts laying around to build the box. Probably a finished size in the ball park of 6 x 10 x 1.5 (got a 10 x 15' liner). Have a couple of questions...

1. The primary goal of this "pond" is for plants, so my first question is about lighting. Using 4' long shop lights, each with 2, 40 watt growlux, wide spectrum bulbs. How many light strips do you think would be best, how far apart, and how high above the plants?

2. We also want to keep the option open of being able to put fish in this "pond",,, aka another "just in case" containment area, so thinking about filtration. Thinking of a skippy filter. Plenty of spare pumps, pvc, etc laying around. My question is what size tote/tub would be best for something this small? Guessing the "pond" would finish out about 700 gallons and would use a pump somewhere in the range of 1400-2000 gph...

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Just want to get it up and running, and not go for overkill...

Before anyone reads my comments and starts howling in laughter consider that I am speaking from an entirely "easy to do, low cost" point of view. That plus I most likely have no idea about the complexities involved in objective.

"Why didn't you install an appropriate size inflatable or ridge side swimming pool commonly available from major discount stores? You could still use pumps, filters and gro lights."

Reaction score
On the Canna...because of the way Canna grow, if you could overwinter them the stalks on them would be in very poor shape come spring and you'd probably be better off to cut to the ground in spring. So imo you wouldn'y be much ahead. I can grow Canna all year here, but still need to cut them to the ground twice a year to get spent stalks out of the way and allow new stalks to grow and flower. Also dividing every year I think results in better plants a little later in the year.

You would probably get better results overwinter normally, maybe trying a few different techniques, and then doing something to get a jump on spring. Placing pots on a heated growing table, or in black pots the sun can heat the soil faster, or a cold frame or even a small green house made of plastic sheet. I think this would be reasonable for all marginals.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I keep mine in the basement that go in the pond and keep them in the concrete mixing tub with the other plants but the rest stay in the ground and I put chicken wire cages around them and fill it with mulch to keep them from freezing .

Reaction score
Before anyone reads my comments and starts howling in laughter consider that I am speaking from an entirely "easy to do, low cost" point of view. That plus I most likely have no idea about the complexities involved in objective.

"Why didn't you install an appropriate size inflatable or ridge side swimming pool commonly available from major discount stores? You could still use pumps, filters and gro lights."

I wont laugh at you;-) I do not trust the inflatable pools. In addition to holding plants, will also use it for fish, whether it be a QT, emergency, or just another place to stick them. We do have a few of the plastic kiddie pools, but they are just too much work to use with fish (other than babies). What I really wanted to do was to get an above ground pool. Unfortunately, the ones I liked, are no longer available locally, or at least not in the size I wanted, or in a pricerange I was willing to spend (more expensive brands).

Hoping to make progress today. Yesterday hubby told me to make a material list... Did that... Now this morning we looked around to see what we have on hand... I think we just need to buy twelve, 2" x 6" and 2 sheets of plywood. Hopefully hubby will get out of work early today as he is planning.

Reaction score
Gonna post some pics of some of the plants I want to save... Since I dont know the name of most of them, will post them individually....

I know what Parrot's Feather is, but the other 2 plants in this pic...

The grassy looking one puts up a yellow flower... there was no tag on it when we bought it, but the nursery worker said it was NOT hardy here.

The other, another no tagger, but no nursery help either. Grows low, and puts out tiny purple flowers. I have no clue what it is, or if it is hardy here or not.

Attachments

• DSCN4842.JPG
    DSCN4842.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 144
Reaction score
The reddish pink thing... puts out tiny white flowers... no clue if it is hardy or not. (I know the Calla Lily is not hardy here)

Attachments

• DSCN4844.JPG
    DSCN4844.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 135
Reaction score
Creeping Primrose??? I think that is what hubby said it is... This isnt hardy here either, but only going to save "clippings".

Attachments

• DSCN4871.JPG
    DSCN4871.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 149
Reaction score
Curlie Mint... little lilac colored flowers... need to find out if it is hardy... if not, coming in too...

Attachments

• DSCN4870.JPG
    DSCN4870.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 156
Reaction score
Hand written tag just said lemon grass... puts up tig like stalks with dainty yellow flowers...

Attachments

• DSCN4869.JPG
    DSCN4869.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 179
Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
I wont laugh at you;-) I do not trust the inflatable pools. In addition to holding plants, will also use it for fish, whether it be a QT, emergency, or just another place to stick them. We do have a few of the plastic kiddie pools, but they are just too much work to use with fish (other than babies). What I really wanted to do was to get an above ground pool. Unfortunately, the ones I liked, are no longer available locally, or at least not in the size I wanted, or in a pricerange I was willing to spend (more expensive brands).

Hoping to make progress today. Yesterday hubby told me to make a material list... Did that... Now this morning we looked around to see what we have on hand... I think we just need to buy twelve, 2" x 6" and 2 sheets of plywood. Hopefully hubby will get out of work early today as he is planning.

I wish you the very best. You and your husband are truly dedicated ponders.

Reaction score
Mare's Tail... can't remember if it is hardy or not, but was planning to bring it in to divide.

Attachments

• DSCN4868.JPG
    DSCN4868.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 133

Ask a Question