Another pond of sorts...

Reaction score
I know the one in the middle isnt hardy here, so that one too LOL.

Attachments

• DSCN4860.JPG
    DSCN4860.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 178
Reaction score
This one I have no idea of what it is. All I know is it was bigger than this, and the damn GOAT mowed it to the ground, and it came back LOL.

Attachments

• DSCN4858.JPG
    DSCN4858.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 123
Reaction score
If you really want to laugh... most know Parrots Feather grows quick... this was a small handful that got "tossed" into the pool (as in trash, I was too lazy to put it somewhere), it stayed there, got rained on, etc etc... still havent "picked it up"...

Attachments

• DSCN4876.JPG
    DSCN4876.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 161
Reaction score
Love water hyacinths but they are illegal in Texas.

They grow like crazy up here, so can only imagine what they would do some place warmer. If we have any room left in the plant pond, I want to bring some in to get a jump start on next year. I bought 250 of this spring, and the pond was naked. Until we get some trees planted, we have no shade on the pond, the water hyacinths are a huge help.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The grassy looking one puts up a yellow flower... there was no tag on it when we bought it, but the nursery worker said it was NOT hardy here.

The other, another no tagger, but no nursery help either. Grows low, and puts out tiny purple flowers. I have no clue what it is, or if it is hardy here or not.

lil purple flower looks like blue forgetme not , as best as I can see it. It is hardy, does fine here

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Creeping Primrose??? I think that is what hubby said it is... This isn't hardy here either, but only going to save "clippings".

looks like the stuff CE sent me, it is hardy here. See if she chimes in.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Curlie Mint... little lilac colored flowers... need to find out if it is hardy... if not, coming in too...

hardy to zone 5

Hand written tag just said lemon grass... puts up tig like stalks with dainty yellow flowers...

not hardy at all, only put out after all frost chances gone

Mare's Tail... can't remember if it is hardy or not, but was planning to bring it in to divide.

per the net grows in northeast us to mexico, therefore hardy, some consider it an aggressive weed.

Reaction score
lil purple flower looks like blue forgetme not , as best as I can see it. It is hardy, does fine here

I dont think it is in the FMN family, but there are 100s of varieties, so could be. Will try to get a better pic of it later. It is really short. Maybe only an inch tall in total.

Reaction score
looks like the stuff CE sent me, it is hardy here. See if she chimes in.

A local friend has some of this too, and says she has to buy it new every year. I know it is invasive as hell. Two LITTLE plants covered a good bit of water considering how late in the season we got it. I was just gonna grab a couple of starters and stick them into 2 four inch pots.

Reaction score
Glad to know the curlie mint is hardy, that can stay out... as can that mare's tail, except for a bit to start a couple more... and lemon grass thingy to come in... thank you:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I had promised in an earlier post here some pictures of our indoor pond. Sorry it took so long. :-(

But here they are.

Pic 1: Our indoor pond is in our basement playroom of our split level home. The entry way is just above the pond with a railing. The steps going up to the entry way are to the right of the pond. The ponds' drywall's "gravel" bottom was done by my wife.

Pic 2: Looking down over the railing into the pond. The edge was done with plastic wood decking, similar to Trex. The PVC pipe with netting was done to keep fish off the carpet. They young koi babies would often jump out of the pond, especially in the first month or so of being moved inside.
We only bring in the babies. The largest koi brought in is about 3".

Pic 3: The last bloom of our tropical lily. The blooms were pink all summer outside but this last one was almost white with just a hint of pink on the tips. Maybe the cold snap we had washed out the colors for some reason?

Pic 4: We only have 4 koi this year inside. This was the last of them we had to catch. Very dark as you can see and we had a hard time catching him until the water temp dropped to about 55F. That slows them down a tad. Caught him at night. Usually easier to catch them at night. All four this year look to have some good color. Will be interesting to see them grow this winter inside.

Craig

Attachments

• 103.jpg
    103.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 106.jpg
    106.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 166
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Craig, I would laugh about your bow, but we've been there already LOL. Will add a pic of our QT. Note the 2 x 6 front wall. That fixed the bow for us LOL. Other than a few screws holding "boards" (scrap lumber on hand), the main frame was built with timberloks. I am pretty sure the bulk of the "plant pond" will be done with ties, just because I know we have a bunch. How big is yours? Are you using any kind of filtration?

This is our own QT tank its called a Shoreham is the Rolls Royce of QT tanks here in the UK , it has its own filter with Jap Matting.
A UV-C which is a kockny koi 15watt UV-C
Bottom drain and a wet dry pump a Blagdon Amphibious P 2000
Ours was second hand used once ( the chap lost interest after all his koi died (wrong sized filter) didnt do his homework properly .
Brand new they cost £550.00 uk we bought it for a song at £260.00 uk
As of yet we havent used it so not sure of its volume but we think it holds around 500 gallons imperial but may acctually be wrong on that gallonage but will be metering the water in to see just how much it holds .
The one in the Photo isnt acctually ours it just shows you a shoeham setup, ours is kept spotlessly clean lol klick on it to get an idea of its true size .

View attachment Shorham tank.bmp

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question