Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
We were feeding the fishes earlier today when we noticed a frog in our pond! We were a little surprised, because we have a net on there all the time, and he's looks a little too big to fit through the gaps. Anyhow, we want to put something in place so that the little fella can get in and out ok. We have an overhanging raised lip to our pond, and given the fact that it is also covered in net, there is no way frogs could get out without some assistance.

We're thinking that a little ramp leading from the water to an enlarged hole in the net would be the best solution. We've got some old plastic gutter guards which might work well, but I was just wondering whether anyone else here has made their own solution to this problem? I'd love to hear about it if you have!

I have ramps I built that helps my turtles out of the water but they could easily be used to let frogs out. I used an old set of car ramps that are used for driving up on to change the oil in a car. They are sloped about right and have a grip surface plus the lading at the top is flat making it set perfectly on top of a fence or block wall. That is how I dealt with it so maybe that will help you out. I include a couple shots that show the ramp.
11218611_922816024421283_601377157037349651_n.jpg
11825706_925105630858989_5825084320799864930_n.jpg

Last edited:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
What ever kind of frog he is !!! He's a fast learner
You were lucky to get the pic

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I'm in the UK, so he must be a good swimmer! :LOL:

I think it's just a common frog, pretty typical for the UK.
It could happen ;) Although he probably just took a ride on a cargo ship. And let us not not forget that some really slimy creatures have made it to America and England across the Atlantic and they could not swim at all. lol

Reaction score
Country
United States
I took swimming noodles and formed them around my little ponds. After I had the form set, I attached moss, artificial and real. While drying, I went back to pond. I added rock to the bottom. In some areas I brought the rock up high and put various slices of slate as under water ledges. In other places I put small moss covered rocks in a bridge shape ( the box turtles use that the most.) Three artificial lilly pads stacked will hold Mr Toads weight. Sounds like l have huge ponds- they are small (I have 5 - 3 surround my palm tree, the others are further apart (sounds like I have a lot of yard ha! Postage stamp. So far this has worked to save Mr Toad and the juniors , Dude and Dudette, box turtles alive. Also a small solar fountain to aerate and keep the water clean. ( Also to keep Mr Toad wet as he rides around stuck on the lilly pad like a doofus. I surround the ponds with cloves etc and no snakes. I live a couple blocks from the ocean and a couple blocks from the river in a bungalow in Fl. The winds wrecked my netting constantly.. this was my fix- hope it helps.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome Sasha to the forum!

Sounds like a neat set up. Post some pictures when you have time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love when these old threads get revived - seeing names on this one that we haven't seen in a long time!

Ask a Question