Anyone use Inline pump?

Reaction score
Hey folks. Right now I've got a Laguna 1500 pump working in a 2000 gal pond attached to a Laguna 2100 pressure filter. Both are doing a sufficient job and have worked well for over 2 years. Clear water, handful of happy koi, no deaths in the three years it's been working.

Was thinking originally of just upgrading to a Laguna 4200, since I also want to split and feed a small 300 gal upper pond that waterfalls into my big pond below it. I confess, however, that I'm sick of hauling the pump outta the water to clear the cage. Initially I was thinking of an external pump, but the darned things are so pricey. I'm also worried about wattage.

I'm now thinking of getting a pondmaster supreme 4000 and placing it 6" below the water line at the lowest edge of my lower pond. It uses 230 watts (versus the 195 of the Laguna).

Wanted to hear from those of you out there who have one of these pumps that can be either submersible or inline below the water line. What are your thoughts? How is it working for you. What kind of pump pit did you build?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I have always used a submersible and like you always pulling it to clean it.I went to a koi show in Kentucky a couple weeks ago bought raffle ticket actually 20 dollars worth. My big win of the day was a sequence pump which is a external. I have not hooked it up as of yet still trying to figure the plumbing out so that it does not run dry or the filter does not overflow.From what I have been told the external ones use far less watts.The ones in use for me now are 2 pondmasters and a good ole fashion sump pump that is only used in emergencies . I was using flotec's but for the past 3 years I have had to replace those yearly so they are not recomended.

Reaction score
What you're describing in a bit different. Sequence pumps are made to be used externally specifically (and can never go in water). The one I'm talking about can either go in water or can be used inline externally. That's what has me freaked out. How do these things really work externally/inline?

You are super lucky to have won--as sequence pumps are fabulous, but very expensive. And you are right they are energy efficient. I'm on a budget thanks to the crummy economy, otherwise I'd be all over a sequence pump.

Still looking for someone to respond on using a pump that can go either in or out of water to hear how successeful they've been.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I never had a inline pump , but i am sure it would be sealed & water tite and you have a in and an out..and it sucks from the inlet hose.
My 4200 laguna uses 160 watts...I pull it out about once a year to clean it...other times i just turn the power on and off and let the head water back flush it

Ask a Question