Aquascape aerator

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just bought an Aquascape aerator system, now I'm wondering how to position the 4 air stones, so that it doesn't get in the way of the skimmer path. Should i put them in a row or across from one another? Should I put them in the middle of the pond, or along the edges? Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just try to space them out in the pond but don't worry too much about exact location. They tend to get moved around a bit any way as time goes on - either I move them when I'm in the pond or I move them when I'm using the net to scoop something out.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
4 stones running may be unnecessary. During the heat I skeins use an air stone but it's just one and I put it in the deepest part. Keep in mind that the airstone is not really adding o2 through the bubbles so much as it is doing so through water column turnover. I've seen ponds with several stones running they usually look like jacuzzis!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We run ours at night only - I don't like all the agitation in the pond during the day. I feel like you can't see the fish.

The fish LOVE them though - I run them after I do any pond or waterfall clean up and you'd think they were in a fish amusement park.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This may help you decide how you want to position your air stones. The diagram shows how the water movement is for one and two air stones.
aerator water movement.jpg

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
This may help you decide how you want to position your air stones. The diagram shows how the water movement is for one and two air stones.
View attachment 91994
If your pond is shaped exactly like the ones in the diagram maybe. To many variables otherwise. It's not a science anyway .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
4 stones running may be unnecessary. During the heat I skeins use an air stone but it's just one and I put it in the deepest part. Keep in mind that the airstone is not really adding o2 through the bubbles so much as it is doing so through water column turnover. I've seen ponds with several stones running they usually look like jacuzzis!
The store owner recommended 4 stones to make sure there was enough oxygen!
Right now I have all 4 stones in the lower (middle) part of the pond, 2 along one wall and 2 directly across
I don't mind the Jacuzzi look, I can still see the fish and they seem to love the bubbles , but is there such thing as too much oxygen in the pond?
DSC01855.JPG

Thank you all for your reply! :)

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Water surface area and water movement will aerate better then airstones. The easiest thing to look for is this,if your fish are not hanging at the surface or in an area of water movement then yiu do not need an airstone.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
water movement will aerate better then airstones.
I use my air stone to move the water on the bottom of the pond. It works much better than the small pump I use to use.

Ask a Question