Are lead weights safe for fish and plants?

Reaction score
Say you need to weigh something down in your pond. Maybe a plant's root system, maybe an air hose for an air pump, (to oxygenate the water) or it could even be so that your water heater will stay put in the winter.

There are many reasons why you might want to weigh something down in your pond. Are lead fishing weights safe to do this with? They sell ones at wal-mart that would certainly be big enough for the task. If not, then what type of weight would you use? Somehow tie some rocks to whatever you are trying to weigh down? That's kind of a pain.

Reaction score
I don't think there's a problem with it actually. I've seen lots of folks use those little fishing lead weights to hold down things like air hosing, for example. I've not personally heard of anyone having anything negative happen.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Many aquatic plants are shipped with lead weights. They are in my tanks with no ill effect.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Sparky 8 year old post. I use the little weight strips they sell at pond stores (online). They are supposed to be made of lead. Without testing my fish long term, have no way of saying if they are harmful or not.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
@Sparky 8 year old post. I use the little weight strips they sell at pond stores (online). They are supposed to be made of lead. Without testing my fish long term, have no way of saying if they are harmful or not.
Ha! I’d be 42. I wish.

Ask a Question