submersible heaters verse deicers

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Joe Jiuliani, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Joe Jiuliani

Joe Jiuliani

Hey guys, I live in North Jersey. It gets down right frigid up here. Pond is 500 gallon, 2 1/2' deep, which is better Floating Pond De Icer or submersible pond heaters. I have a 1500 watt floating deicer, is that good enough to prevent total freeze? Appreciate any advice, thanks!

Joe Jiuliani, Sep 16, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Joe Jiuliani

Jhn

As long as your pond is in the ground and not above ground a floating deicer is fine. All you want is a hole in the ice for gas exchange.

Jhn, Sep 16, 2017
    Mmathis likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Joe Jiuliani

MitchM

If you're close to the ocean, you're ahead of the game already because your ground won't freeze too deep.
    Gas exchange is the most important issue, if you want to keep your pond ice free and it's not too large for a cover, a cover is the best way to retain heat.

MitchM, Sep 16, 2017
    MoonShadows and Tula like this.
  4. Joe Jiuliani

Tula

I have to agree! Covered our pond last year and it had zero ice cover !

Tula, Sep 16, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
  5. Joe Jiuliani

Joe Jiuliani

Thanks for the help, I'm in North Jersey, up near NY State. If the floating deicer keeps a hole in the ice will there be a pocket large enough at the bottom for the fish to hibernate?

Joe Jiuliani, Sep 16, 2017
  6. Joe Jiuliani

MitchM

Can you describe your pond?
    In ground, above ground, protected from the wind, against a building, what do you have in there for fish, kind, size number?
    A pictures is always helpful.

MitchM, Sep 17, 2017
  7. Joe Jiuliani

CometKeith

I don't use any type of heating element just either an air stone or waterfall to keep a hole, but my ponds have always been at least 4 ft deep here in the Chicago area. There is a layer of water at the bottom of the pond that is 38 degrees that is more dense than other temperatures and the fish will go to that and be fine if your pond is at least 4-5 ft deep. At 2.5 ft I'm not sure if you will have that.

CometKeith, Sep 17, 2017
  8. Joe Jiuliani

Angel

s nj here i was doing well with just a small pump and a heater. this year im skipping the heater and using the small pump with a venturi add on airator

Angel, Sep 17, 2017
  9. Joe Jiuliani

MoonShadows The Jam Man

What did you use for a cover @Tula ?

MoonShadows, Sep 17, 2017
  10. Joe Jiuliani

Joe Jiuliani

Thanks, I have about 15 fish, some gold, shubunkins and a few koi. The pond is 4' from the rear of the house and is in 60 percent shade. It's an in ground pond with a few large rocks and bottom is covered with river stone. Most of the fish are 3 to 4 inches but some of the koi are 6 or 7 ".

Joe Jiuliani, Sep 17, 2017
  11. Joe Jiuliani

Lisak1

Most of the ponds we see in our area (Chicago/Northern IL) are only 2 feet deep and the fish do fine over winter. Our pond is just over 3 feet deep and we have no trouble overwintering in the pond.

@Joe Jiuliani - we're zone 5A/5B here. We have our share of frigid winters! Your goal should be to keep an opening in the pond to allow for gas exchange. A de-icer might be enough, but we always couple the de-icer with an air stone about 8 or 10 inches under it. The combination of moving water and the de-icer does the job. We keep our waterfall running all year, but I always set this combo up as preparation in case we have to turn the water fall off for some reason. Like last year when the plumbing on the pump sprung a leak!

Lisak1, Sep 17, 2017
  12. Joe Jiuliani

Tula

We had a pool solar cover that had some tears, so we couldn't use it for the pool, but it was perfect for the pond. It was a big rectangle and I folded it in half. Mine is blue, but I've seen folks prefer the clear, as it allows sunlight to penetrate.

I wish I could remember a site that sold them cheaply, but I'm sure you can google sites. It made a HUGE difference !

Tula, Sep 17, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
  13. Joe Jiuliani

Joe Jiuliani

Just bought a dual aerator and air pump, I guess that combined with the surface heater I should be gold for the winter. Not a cheap hobby, but one I love!

Joe Jiuliani, Sep 17, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
  14. Joe Jiuliani

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Thanks @Tula . I have been looking at those.

MoonShadows, Sep 17, 2017
    Tula likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question