AREAS FOR BIRDS

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I guess this is a good place to post this. Looking for ideas for including a "birdbath" location as part of the pond or waterfall. Haven't started building the WF yet, so was thinking that might be a good place to incorporate one into the design. So far none of our birds have shown an interest in the pond, but then there aren't any bird-friendly spots.

I know they need shallow water and it needs to have good footing for them. Would like for the water to flow through (to keep it clean), but not sure how much/little water movement to have. What's a good size? Plants in it or no?

Any ideas welcome & pics would be great! Though I sort of implied "waterfall" construction, I'm not limiting myself to that, so any ideas for retro-fitting something along an edge are also welcomed (have no shallow areas within the pond, though).

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
somebody has something like that... and I wish i knew who so I could find pictures.

Hopefully i can explain this so it makes sense, otherwise i will have to try to draw you a picture.

Instead of one waterfall, make a watertfall that falls into a shallow little pond or flat area, then have another small waterfallinto the main pond. You may have to make the "little birdbath pond" deep where the actual water falls (to stop as much splashing) but then bring it quickly up so its only a few inches deep so birds can hang out in it.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
We have several birdbaths around the yard, but the most-used one consists of a limestone boulder with a 1/2" hole drilled through it, and a 150 gph pump sending a mini-geyser of water over it. No standind water at all, but a great variety of birds love to drink and bathe in the bubbling water. Limestone is easy to drill with a hammer-drill and a long enough bit, and the boulder can be set up as part of a waterfall, or at the edge of a pond if you have a little extra liner. Just form a slight depression, line it, and place three fist-sized rocks under the bubbler stone to give you room for the hose under the boulder.
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
HARO, thanks, but was actually wanting to do something that was part of the pond -- probably failed to make that very clear, sorry. For example, something that would share pond water such as a shallow area of the pond (which I don't have), or part of the waterfall where water could gently flow or drip into it, then overflow back in the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've got a stainless bowl that sits on top of my falls tub that I just put some rocks and some plants in and have a garden hose stuck in there on a timer and that's what keeps my pond topped off. Don't know if the birds use it or not but they can if they want to................I know the cats drink out of it :razz:

IMG_4136.JPG

IMG_4137.JPG

IMG_4138.JPG

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
HARO, thanks, but was actually wanting to do something that was part of the pond -- probably failed to make that very clear, sorry. For example, something that would share pond water such as a shallow area of the pond (which I don't have), or part of the waterfall where water could gently flow or drip into it, then overflow back in the pond.
Exactly! Place said boulder at top of waterfall, and the water flows back into the pond. Another idea... use a small floating planter with a shallow bowl suspended in it. Birds WILL use it; mine landed on lillypads to get a drink and a bath. Drill a few holes in the bowl, and it's self-cleaning! :twocents:
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine bath, drink hang out in the bog. A few drink out of the stream running or not, some out of the deck pond, basically everywhere except the big pond. The only birds that drink there are the doves.

Ask a Question