Arrowhead plants

Reaction score
I bought a small arrowhead plant two years ago and stuck the pot in about 6 inches of water. It did alright but nothing spectacular. Last fall I cut it down and tossed it into deeper water to see if it would last the winter. To my surprise it did last so I put the pot back on the shallow shelf for another season. This year it took off and grew to about 20" tall. I decided to cut it back and throw it into deeper water to see if I could keep it for another season. To my surprise the roots had broken through the small pot and created a huge root ball that took hold of what ever it could. After I had pulled it up and cut the plant down I wondered if I could have just left it in place? Does anyone know if they will survive in shallow water and ice?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Mine do - as long as the roots stay below the ice and aren't exposed they always come back.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Up here those plants grow in water up to maybe 2 to 2 1/2' deep, our lakes often freeze to 3', so what does THAT tell you? Arrowheads die off in winter, after producing turions, or winter bulbs. It is these turions that send up new plants when the weather warms uo again. A word of caution; I've found as many as 15 turions in the bottom of the pot when cleaning up before winter, so they MAY overwhelm you! :eek:
John

Ask a Question