Ask About Bog Filter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@pimen - lose the fear! You'll find your plants are much hardier than you think, once you learn how to handle them.

When you thin your bog, there are plants that you can just pull up the excess - plants that spread by creeping fall into this category. I don't know what plants you have there, but here I grow watercress, water celery, creeping Jenny, parrot's feather, and forget-me-nots as examples of plants that spread by creeping. Those I just yank out the excess and leave the rest be. They will soon begin creeping again and you will be back in your bog thinning again.

Plants that grow by expanding out from their root ball - like irises and your papyrus for example - need to be divided by the roots. This does NOT mean you trim the roots. You just take up the entire plant (if I were doing this with a plant growing in the ground, I wouldn't have to dig it all up, but in the bog it's much easier to get the plant on firm ground for the next part.) and then divide the whole plant AT THE ROOT BALL. Get the plant on firm ground and then I literally take a shovel (or sometimes I even need a hatchet or a pick axe!) and divide the root ball into sections. If I want two pieces, I chop down the middle from the top to the bottom. If I want more plants, or smaller sections to replant, I chop smaller sections from the top to the bottom. If you examine the root ball, you can often see good places where the root ball will separate more easily. But you will cut into some of the thick roots - that's ok! Leave the bottom of the root ball alone - no trimming necessary. Then you replant the section you want to save, or plant them all, if you have room for them. Or you find a pond friend and you share!

When you do divide your plants (and this is true of any perennial that you divide at the root ball) expect to see some die off of the plant. A few leaves or stems will die as a result of the shock of being divided. THIS IS OK! The plant will soon bounce back and will quickly begin forming new leaves, stalks or stems. Trust me on this! I've been gardening for many years... there is no fear in gardening! Don't get me wrong - you will have failures along the way. There are all kinds of variables to consider. But have fun and don't stress - gardening and pond keeping is supposed to be relaxing!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
In your very first post you referred to this as a "mini bog filter". Exactly how small is it? You may be trying to use plant material that is just to large for the 'bog'.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
my bog is 120 cm x 60 cm x 30 cm

And here is your likely problem. Reeds and rushes typically have root systems that reach a depth of about 40 cm (16 inches). The plant roots are curving back on themselves effectively making the root ball denser and more easily clogged.

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
And here is your likely problem. Reeds and rushes typically have root systems that reach a depth of about 40 cm (16 inches). The plant roots are curving back on themselves effectively making the root ball denser and more easily clogged.

when the roots reach the bottom end , can it adapting horizontally grow to search more room ?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
when the roots reach the bottom end , can it adapting horizontally grow to search more room ?
Yes, but because of the restricted depth, this normal amount of root growth will take up even more of what is limited space. 'Bogs' should be planted the same as terrestrial gardens. These are not planted where the plants are crowded or have sufficient root spacee.
In addition, if this is an upflow 'bog', the increased root mass at the bottom of the 'bog' will prevent the even flow of water over the entire bottom thereby quickly causing channeling.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A good way to prune pond/ bog plants a large serrated knife, saw away!

Ask a Question