Attaching a EPDM Liner to a concrete wall

Reaction score
My husband and I recently dug up an area in our yard for a fish pond - found out there was an old cement fish pond underneath it! When trying to decide whether to just use the cement that was already there (very old - so we thought we might re-cement it), or use an EPDM liner over it, we opted for the latter.

I researched quite a bit regarding leaks and what to do it they occurred and came across this. I don't know if this will help, and don't know much about it, but it looked to me like it might be good. I read somewhere that it was the "state of the art" when dealing with leaks.

http://www.malibuwater.com/PondBentonite.html

BTW - we just finished building our pond yesterday and we're eager to get things going now. I'm a total newbie and have no idea what I'm doing (this is really MY project, not my husband's - he initially wanted no part of this!!), but trying to read up enough to at least get the fish in the water!

Reaction score
I have come to terms with my mistakes and have succumbed to ripping everything out and starting over.
...So I salvaged as much of the EPDM that we not covered in Henry's and Bituthane. (maybe use on some future pond.)
Yesterday, after much debate, I poured a concrete bottom in the pond. I ended up speaking with two pond guys at local stores, and a half dozen roofing companies, and concluded that this was the best way to proceed.
My general pond design was so limiting that this seemed to be the only direction to head, (at least this had possibilities)

Direction to head from here: after reading around a little bit, this is what I have come up with: In a couple of days, I will "plaster" the whole pond with a rubberized cement mixture, that will create a seamless base, it will also flex with the concrete as it cracks, helping to avoid every little crack causing a leak. In 28 days, after everything has had enough time to cure. I will apply Hydrolok (two coats) to the entire pond to help complete the waterproofing portion.

Can anyone comment on if this is the best way to go. Thanks

On the product listed above, one of the local ponding guys mentioned this product as the way he would build a pond if he was starting from scratch, but once he saw my application, he felt that concrete was the way to go.

Thank you for all of your help.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
In my opinion, you have gone backwards. I don't know of anyone else that has left EPDM for concrete. I once had concrete and I will never do it again. Everyone I know with concrete ponds have leaks they cannot pinpoint.
You can never change it either without a jackhammer and a lot of hard work and money.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
I left liner for concrete, Dr Dave. There are a variety (actually a heck of a lot) of sealers for concrete. Before putting any sealer over the concrete, I first ensured it didn't leak. The sealers are just for insurance. Dry-lock is the cheapest and then there are some pretty expensive kinds that flex just enough if cracks develop.

As I see it, there's probably no perfect thing out there: liner or concrete, other than a natural pond, so it's pretty useless arguing one or the other till the cows come home.

Nice pond you got there, btw.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

New to the pond world, and already frustrated. I think it is my own fault though.
Here is the situation.
I had a concrete wall poured in a rectangle on flat ground, 10'x20' 6" tall and 6" think, there is a lip on top of this that protrudes 1.5" in either direction, so the cross section of the wall looks like a "T". In the middle of this rectangle I had the concrete contractor pour a 3'x8' monolith, plumbed so that water can flow out of the top of it. I then put 2" to 3" of sand on the bottom of the pond rectangle and purchased a EPDM liner. I planned on fastening the liner to the wall just below the lip with Bituthane by Grace, (this is a waterproofing self healing tape of sorts) I meticulously installed this make sure that it was sealed against the liner and the concrete. After filling the pond to check for leaks, I noticed that it was loosing about an 1"/hr. (120 gallons). so I drained the pond and discovered that gapping had formed and the Bituthane was releasing off of the concrete. (despite the application of the surface conditioner) So I purchased a 5 gallon bucket of Henry's waterproofing tar for roofs and again meticulously applied this to all joints both between the EPDM and the Bituthane and the Bituthane and the concrete. Filled the pond again and was loosing about 1/4"/hr. (30 gallons). I once again drained the pond, and cannot find any voids or areas where it can be leaking. I need ideas or products that I might try to resolve this leaking. I am not sure if I should resort of hot mopping the pond, ripping everything out and using Gunite, or if there is a product that can be used to seal the EPDM to the edge of the concrete.

Sorry this is so long, Thanks for any help.
Yes , not cheap but if it’s applied properly Matic Aphalt is an excellent choice. I did mine myself as I was a mastic asphalt spreader. That was 30 years ago and still all good

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomecrowd.gif
@Webby

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I extremely doubt that is a fish friendly product. Any asphalt based for that matter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
If concrete is already there, and you'll have no fish. There is/was a product called Blockaide. It's a flexible latex product that is designed to seal block walls, and is suitable for full time submersion. Apply with brush or roller. Comes in white, but can be tinted with latex paint.
May be something to look into for this purpose.

Ask a Question