Babies in the Bog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So I noticed some baby fish in the few inches of water in the big filter. Usually it's just a hair over the pea gravel but the pond is pretty full.

I had to get the bog filter water removed because I'm finishing up perminant piping and a secondary pipe for adjust the flow into the bog. So while emptying, I though I would save some of the babies. Once I was done with the piping, I put them back in the bog. I'm guessing they are staying in there to eat what they can and not be eaten by the other fish.

I have about 4 dozen rosy minnows, 3 koi that are maybe 8" long, 3 shubunkin which are prob 6" and then a few random generic goldfish. So I'm not sure who's babies these are. I also got some plants when I first o up the bog filter from a pond place and they had a bunch of fish in with the plants. I believe all koi.

Curious if anyone can tell what kind of babies they are even this small. I got some pics before I put them back in the bog. Hopefully not minnows. I wanted minnows to take care of mosquitos and algae since I heard the bigger fish will stop eating the little larva up. I wanted to get a bass or two... Smaller ones... To take care of the minnow population. Kind of a happy circle of life... Haha

If too early to tell, no problem. They may get eaten before they get bigger. I noticed the minnows hanging out where the big filter flows back into the pond, eating something that flows in... So... The circle of life...

Thanks all.

PXL_20220806_214232586~2.jpg
PXL_20220806_214239632~2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
BASS will eat fish almost there own size meaning your gold fish don't stand a chance nor will shubunkins try a blue gill. or a sun fish
They'll just get removed when they get too big... Basically big enough to eat my koi. I'll cycle them as needed. Wish the koi would eat the minnows... But heard you need to starve your koi to encourage it. Didn't want to do that.

Also heard bluegill reproduce like mad. I guess if I just got one... the few folks that I know have bass and bluegill say, they had to get bass to keep the bluegill population in control.

Either way I still need to figure all that out (who eats who). Just trying to figure out what kind of babies are in the bog. Did notice the minnows and now even the koi, hanging out where the big filter empties back into the pond. Prob trying to eat the babies up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My goldfish young are not shiny like that, but I don’t know about koi. I’m guessing they’re minnows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My goldfish young are not shiny like that, but I don’t know about koi. I’m guessing they’re minnows.
Fair enough. I'll see what they end up becoming as they get bigger if they make it.

I never thought about oxygen in the water and getting it from bog. I have a large waterfall and an aerator I thought would be enough but I'll have to maybe get a meter to just verify. I was hoping it was just them trying to eat everything from the big filter.

Thanks!

Ask a Question