baby koi in my pond

Reaction score
Two years ago the guy who built my renovated my pond decided it needed to be cleaned. And it did. So he took the fish out, emptied the pond, cleaned it, filled it back up, and put the fish back in. They all died. I had five koi various sizes and about 30 to 40 various kinds of goldfish. He replaced the koi with 4 quite large koi, big enough that our local heron sits in the adjacent tree but won't bother the koi, we even had an eagle scoping out the pond from the herons perch. Still have 4 koi. I have two labs which act as a deterrent when we're here, but we are away quite a bit. Koi are still swimming happily around the pond. I do have a couple of caves they can shelter in and in the summer, plenty of waterlilys. Last fall, we noticed with some surprise, about 30 small fry koi swimming around. Since there are no other fish in the pond they have to be koi. They're still there this spring, and it may be my imagination, but they look a little bigger. I think they're past the stage of being eaten by the big guys. What do I do now. My inclination is to leave them alone, as the had no help from me to get there in the first place. I'd be interested in any comments from you experienced pond owners as to your experiences.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How big (surface area and capacity) is your pond? What level of filtration do you have? What is the flow rate of the pump?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'd went to some effort to have the gravel removed from my pond and all my fish taken to a sanctuary,leaving me with five koi. Well.........they spawned and about 25-30 managed to survive. I tried to catch them last fall, but they were too quick, so let them over winter in the pond, where they grew! Last week end I purchased a live stock tank, lowered the water level and caught about 25 and an adult koi, which I gave to a neighbor.

I now have 4 adult koi and about 5 baby koi, who escaped my attempts to catch them!! Depending on how big your pond is etc, you'll have to find them homes eventually. I'm hoping the adults will eat more eggs, when they spawn this year.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What do I do now. My inclination is to leave them alone, as the had no help from me to get there in the first place. I'd be interested in any comments from you experienced pond owners as to your experiences.

You don't have to do anything special to raise them, just let them do their own thing in the pond and nature will take its course. They shouldn't need any extra help. They'll eat things in the pond until one day you realize they're eating fish food. Keep in mind that if most of them survive to adulthood, 30 is a lot of koi. Also keep in mind that - at least with my limited experience with goldfish - they will probably breed again this summer, and next summer, and so on.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Seems like we all learn how many fish we end up with after they start having babies .You could give them away like I have if you feel that there will be to many fish for your pond to handle .A local ad to give them to new ponders and you will be surprised at how many people you get calling

Ask a Question