Backyard water garden build begins!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Progress for today. Got the stream and waterfall foamed/rocked. Added more rock to the bog. Didn’t go to crazy because the aquablocks got delayed and arrive tomorrow. Buried the pipe from the skimmer to the bog. Tomorrow I hunt for more builders and begin concreting the retaining wall I need to build up to the skimmer.

Attachments

• 325A8815-20C6-4B48-B249-2A03D7CB5BEA.jpeg
    325A8815-20C6-4B48-B249-2A03D7CB5BEA.jpeg
    361.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 020DF406-C743-49C0-A89C-68D093954735.jpeg
    020DF406-C743-49C0-A89C-68D093954735.jpeg
    362.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 24D3C19C-54A4-43B6-9F69-870AC349504C.jpeg
    24D3C19C-54A4-43B6-9F69-870AC349504C.jpeg
    377.4 KB · Views: 39
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
looking good ......... is there waterfal foam under all those rocks. The water will want to leak out under them and you will loose a lot of the volume for your stream and water falls

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I can make one mention to you , why are you building top down . Those rocks at the first drop should sit partly on the shelf and over hanging abutting or on top of the rocks from the below shelf. It's much easier working bottom up

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
If I can make one mention to you , why are you building top down . Those rocks at the first drop should sit partly on the shelf and over hanging abutting or on top of the rocks from the below shelf. It's much easier working bottom up

Funny you say that. So I went to the stone center today and picked up another boulder pallet. Needless to say I overestimated my strength on this order. Im actually in the process of moving all the smaller boulders down to the main shelf. The top permitter is going to have some big boys on them next time You see it. I have all the large boulders in the backyard already staged (you don’t want to know how I made that happen lol) I just need to get bigger ball cart to move them into position. I started building my retaining wall around the skimmer and I installed the weir to the skimmer. Tomorrow I should make some good progress now that I have those boulders in the backyard. Mistakes were made today and life lessons were learned lol.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Trust me very few building there first pond get away without mistakes. i'm certainly not one of them i should have kept the kiss theory

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
So a lot of progress was made over the holiday weekend. I Wasn’t able to post as I had family over. I was able to Finish rocking the main pond which as you can see has changed a bit since I brought in some bigger boulder pieces. I Still need to finish filling the bog with rock and then rock the bog walls. I got close, but ran out of rock. Only one of the four aquablocks arrived from Amazon which was unfortunate so I decided I just wanted my refund from that and kept filling with all rock. I got all my plumbing done and tested the overflow and filled for a leak test and all appears well. Finished two landscape paths leading up each side of the pond, but still have lots to do in regards to planting and landscape lighting for the backyard and pond. I always want some more rocks for the waterfall splash zone. I don’t love how the water is hitting it at this time, but all easy changes.

Attachments

• 3CC9AEDB-D3C0-4070-B727-570D5506814B.jpeg
    3CC9AEDB-D3C0-4070-B727-570D5506814B.jpeg
    420.8 KB · Views: 32

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
So a lot of progress was made over the holiday weekend. I Wasn’t able to post as I had family over. I was able to Finish rocking the main pond which as you can see has changed a bit since I brought in some bigger boulder pieces. I Still need to finish filling the bog with rock and then rock the bog walls. I got close, but ran out of rock. Only one of the four aquablocks arrived from Amazon which was unfortunate so I decided I just wanted my refund from that and kept filling with all rock. I got all my plumbing done and tested the overflow and filled for a leak test and all appears well. Finished two landscape paths leading up each side of the pond, but still have lots to do in regards to planting and landscape lighting for the backyard and pond. I always want some more rocks for the waterfall splash zone. I don’t love how the water is hitting it at this time, but all easy changes.

Great progress! I love all of the different sizes of rocks you are using.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Fantastic! When your post came up, I saw the first page and then skipped to the last. I don't know if anyone responded about the Big Frog pump. I have a Big Frog 3000 in my pond out front and it has been a real workhorse. It's been running about 5 years if my math is right. Your rock work is wonderful. I am going out back today to start on mine! I am spending some time looking on here for inspiration!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Fantastic! When your post came up, I saw the first page and then skipped to the last. I don't know if anyone responded about the Big Frog pump. I have a Big Frog 3000 in my pond out front and it has been a real workhorse. It's been running about 5 years if my math is right. Your rock work is wonderful. I am going out back today to start on mine! I am spending some time looking on here for inspiration!
Thank you! that is great to hear about Big Frog as I was a bit concerned when Half-off Ponds decided to swap out the pump brand without telling me. I wish I got a pump with variable control for flow reduction. I would say not getting a pump with that feature is currently my main regret of my build, but I put a ball valve in so I can restrict flow when needed. This pump moves some serious water.

Ask a Question