Bagspond update for March

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
UH OH!!!!! New pond woes!
This morning I didn't hear the waterfall. The water level was down to the bare minimum for the skimmer, so the waterfall was just trickling. I hope the pump is ok.
I unplugged it and refilled the water.
I think I know what's happening, and hope I can fix it today. I did mark the water level with chalk and will watch to be sure there isn't a leak anywhere else -- but I think the waterfall is just a little too crazy.
It was going wild over to the right initially, so I readjusted and re-foamed. I think that directed too much over to the left. I think the oversplash is extensive -- AND I think the oversplash is creating a big puddle around one of the outermost rocks -- which is flowing down a liner wrinkle into the dirt via capillary action. I know the waterfall flow has really been hitting a flat rock so hard, it makes it splash more. That rock was put there as part of the spillway, but I'm going to remove it and see what happens.
It's too cold to play out there now, but it's supposed to get to 64 today.
Wish me luck, Pond Peeps!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aww the woes of waterfalls. I have had to adjust mine many times after the build to make them behave. And after winter when the deer walk on the rocks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I hope I can fix it by just working with the edge area. The other option -- which will be more of a pain, is shortening the spillway stone. I'd have to detach it and use a chisel to chip it away. I didn't realize how much force the water would have. It shoots out a lot farther than I thought it would.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
My analysis of the situation was correct. I found where the water was over-shooting the boundaries. I moved the rock and put a taller one in its place, to make a higher "wall" to keep the water in. I also found where a puddle had formed and was meeting the dirt -- which was sucking up water like a sponge. I moved a few things, adjusted the edge treatment of the liner, and foamed the poo out of it. I will cover the foam with artfully placed (ha ha) gravel and I'm hoping it will be good to go!
Keep your fingers, toes, and legs crossed for me, folks!
;)

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Let us know.....
raf,750x1000,075,t,9ec0d5_0d26d5c715.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I just turned the pump on. I removed a rock that was sort of a launching pad for water. That helped a lot. Also, the tall rock seems like it will really help keep the water where it should be. I see I have some strange black boil things from foam protrusions (Ewwwww.) But better that than water going out! It is much harder to foam with any skill when there is already water in the pond. You can't get in there and see what you are doing from all angles. Oh well. Already, some of my older foam has turned green. It looks like algae-coated grey rocks. So it will be fine.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yes, we have all had 'waterfall woes'. I have had my pond 13 years and I have adjusted rocks in the waterfall each year. Sometimes a total rebuild and sometimes just moving a rock or two to change the flow. I am glad you found your problem so quickly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@cas -- let's HOPE I did. I am paranoid now -- looking all around. I'm getting a little worried that big black ants have decided to colonize in the hill. Those stinkers will move large rocks out of place with their work. I like to live peacefully with nature, but sometimes our little friends can be destructive. I'm keeping an eye out.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ha! It will always be something.
One year my pond was overtaken with bullfrogs - at least two dozen huge frogs. Had a cold snap and the pond froze - with the frogs frozen in the ice. I didn't even know I had the frogs until I found them frozen in the ice Couldn't believe it.
Just think of all the stories you will have from having your pond - they've started already!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I am seriously geeking out over my pond. I put in two teeny goldfish - 17 cents each. The guy at the pet store was so nice to catch the perfect ones in the tank of feeders. They gave him a good chase! One is white with orange and the other is orange with white -- pretend koi! I got them to get the nitrogen cycle going. They had a wonderful time exploring the pond. To them, it must have been like Lake Superior! They are finding all the hiding places, so it isn't easy to spot them right now. I noticed the fluffy coating of algae growing over the rocks. I touched it and it isn't exactly slimy -- more like light and soft. All the algae on the rocks is also putting off a gazillion little air bubbles. It's pretty!!!!! Tomorrow is supposed to be 81. I know it will get cold again, but hopefully spring is working on staying. I can't wait to get some plants once the temps stablize!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
So now I have 4 little goldfish. The pond is 9 x 12 and 3 feet deep -- so there is a ton of room for them and many hiding places. I am sure once I get some plants on the surface, they will be more comfortable, but for now they are intimidated. I have to sneak out to catch them doing their little fishie thing -- but once they see someone there, it's like they go "AHHHHHHHHHHH!" and hide.
We have decided to name them all Kevin -- like Kevin MacAllister on Home Alone. When they stop being scared, they might get new names!
:)

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have 3 nice Sarassa Comets in an aquarium that look so nice swimming around. They are between 2.5 - 3 inches. I plan on putting them in as my first fish in my pond. I keep thinking....imagine moving into a house that is more than 40x larger than the one you are in now.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I kept some shubunkins in a tank over winter one year. A 55 gallon tank, they were happy I was happy when they joined the pond herd. Fish tank has been donated away.

Ask a Question