barrel for filter safe to use?

Reaction score
trying to locate a barrel to create a bio-filter and found one from a textile plant which contained a dye, do you feel that this would not be safe to use or can i give it a good washing and be safe?

Reaction score
found a 30 gal barrel, would that be big enough to handle the job ,pond will be aprox. 2800 gals. and also have a skimmer and waterfall filter with bio-media in it too. also I was going to supply water to the 30 gal. filter with a submersible pump rated for 4200 gph but with head hgt. and distance prob get more like 3000 gph out of it , woulld that be enough?

Reaction score
i don't think the 30 gal tank would be enough. they say you need a 55gal barrel for every 1500gal. so your 2800 gal pond would need almost 100 gl or filter. i would get two 55gal drums or one 100 gal stock tank. you have to give the filter time for the bactria to do its job. and pushing 3000 gal threw a 30 gal tank would only allow about 35 sec for the bactria to work. you need at least 2 min, the longer the better. the 100 gal stock tank would give you 2 min of time in the filter. take your filter size divided by the GPH times 60 to get retention time. so 30/3000*60=0.6min. i wouldn't count of the waterfall filter to give any bio filtering. yes it will but the time the water is in that little container is not enough for anything. I'm building a 150gal stock tank to go on my 4000 gl pond. so 150/3500*60=2.57 min

Reaction score
so connecting one barrel to the other, would the flow go into the second barrel from the top , set up would be the same as 1st barrel right , thanks
also can pvc cement be used on insinde plumbing of this or is it toxic? thanks again

Reaction score
if i were doing 2 55gal barrels i would do one as a mechanical bio filter and the second as just bio. maybe a moving K1 filter. a 100 gal or 150 gal stock tank would be easier to hide. i believe PVC glue is fine once its dry.

Reaction score
Oh Jason, am so proud of your recommendations! I love it when someone "gets it" and is able to impart good knowledge others. Can you see my BIG smile?

:)

Reaction score
Rubbermaid Structural Foam Stock Tanks

check out the DIY section on how to make one. you can get them from Tractor Supply looks like the closet one to you is

GRISWOLD #167
461 VOLUNTOWN RD GRISWOLD CT 06351
(860) 376-0131

the 100gal one is $70 and the 150gal is $125 according to the website. that's what i paid for my 150gal. so the 55 gal barrels are cheaper if you want to go that route. but they will stick up more and are harder to hide. But either way there are some great filters on here.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
Oh Jason, am so proud of your recommendations! I love it when someone "gets it" and is able to impart good knowledge others. Can you see my BIG smile?

:)

well it wouldn't happen with out you all helping me and lots of reading.
Read everything on here for a month and you will have more of the concepts down.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
MAILMAN...Stocktanks perform great, as do the barrels, but the tanks are easier to hide. Even at pondside as the waterfall filter basin...and as someone who has both stocktank and 55 gal barrel filters i can make that assessment. If you need a waterfall weir for your tank i can set you up, just p.m me.
first and last pix are when with the top of filter full of water hiacynths...hiacynths were actually growing a foot past the sides of the tank resting on stones...real good for the extra veggy filtration..and the roots also catch alot of fines.
middle is when i just put the hiacynths in a couple weeks earlier

Attachments

• SANY0845.JPG
    SANY0845.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 366
  • SANY0735.JPG
    SANY0735.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 417
  • SANY0847.JPG
    SANY0847.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 355

Ask a Question