Best Books

Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any really good general knowledge books on ponds. Every hobby I have ever had there seems to be the one "Bible" on the subject. Any suggestions on books that are really good would be appreciated. I don't have any yet. I would really like to find something that covers dealing with colder weather since I am in Wisconsin. Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used a few, but much prefer internet searches, get a wide range of views on any topic.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
One of the best for koi is Koi Kichi from Peter Waddington. He is the UK koi guru. It is pricey at @$200 but is quite indepth. You can research it online to get a feel for its content.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Peter Waddington's Koi Kichi is a GREAT book for koi, but that's what it is good for, KOI, Not worth anything for water gardening, Perry Slocum and Peter Robinson 'Water gardening Water lilies and Lotus' I'm reading it now, another SUPER book for Water lily and Lotos but not a great all around book for water gardening or fish keeping. For a beginner ponder, a really good general knowledge book is Water in the garden By Tetra.
Another book I highly recommend any Koi or Goldfish keeper read or get is Dr. Erik Johnson's Koi Health & Disease. Not much of a book for building a pond, but a Bible of information about treating almost health issue in a pond.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
My son gave me "Koi of the World Japanese Colored Carp" by Dr Herbert R. Axelrod

I have not had time to do much more that flip through it. Have you seen this one before?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
It's a good book, but very much out dated in many ways. My version is a 1973 copy right, The fish pics are barely mutt fish by today's show standards, but for the time and proven methods of keeping koi for hundreds of years I think it's a must read for ponding and Koi keeping. For a book that is close to 40 years old many things are still quite acceptable methods of koi keeping. The history of keeping koi is to me best described by AxeIrod, as he was one of the first to get the right of visits to Japan. I have several different books from Dr. Axelrod and in my opinion the single most important man in his writings for anyone in the fish keeping hobby. His books our the real Historians to the hobby.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I think you will enjoy reading it. You'll notice how the hobby has advanced. It's well written but like you see, 40+ year old information and a great history of koi keeping to be read. If you read it then Koi Kichi, You can REALLY see the advancements in the hobby.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Reader's Digest Complete Guide To Water Gardening is one of the better books in my library. John

Ask a Question