Best pond liner to go with?

Reaction score
Country
United States
They're legit questions troll. After all, I did post this in the pond newbie forum. Don't like it, look elsewhere. Thanks !

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
.045" and .055" are American measurements.This is what I have found in the market. Why are you using confusing descriptions? Mil is a deceiving way of describing the thickness.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
.045" and .055" are American measurements.This is what I have found in the market. Why are you using confusing descriptions? Mil is a deceiving way of describing the thickness.

Now I am confused. Where are you seeing .045" and .055" as thickness listings for EPDM. I have never seen it listed any other way than mil (millimeter).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Well Joe is US according to his posts so an "american measurement" controversy is beside the point. Ive done a little research on pond liners and 45 mil is pretty clear on the sites ive visited as a standard. So idk what the issue is...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Geesh, Joe........why not look around and see if you can find some 135mil EPDM.

C'mon.....45mil EPDM. Just like everyone else. If I've told you once I've told you thirty-four million, six hundred and eight-six thousand, two hundred and seventy-eight times........don't exaggerate.

45mil EPDM. Use it, don't use it, but please.........stop talking about it.

They're legit questions troll. After all, I did post this in the pond newbie forum. Don't like it, look elsewhere. Thanks !

Let's keep things civil folks. I understand the frustration here, so if you disagree with @Joe113's decision then leave him to learn from it (whether it be good or bad - I'm passing no judgement).

@Joe113 there is no need for name calling.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Best way is to do what i did get samples .A lot of the places will send you samples for a small cost .My samples were all 12x 12 pieces and I paid for shipping only .I got them from a place online that old all kinds of liners .I think it was pondliners.com ,but not sure .I would have to get the samples out to see if the paper work is still there .This was 0ver 10 years ago .I called them and ordered my first liner from them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Now I am confused. Where are you seeing .045" and .055" as thickness listings for EPDM. I have never seen it listed any other way than mil (millimeter).
Mils =/= millimeters.
mm == millimeters.

mils is a common measurement of 0.001 (one-thousandth) inches and is used in the machining, CAD and engineering fields.

Now back to the question, why in the world would you want 90 mil liner? Twice the weight and it's got to be incredibly hard to work with.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay folks, the pond has been holding water for a week now and I'm now working on the landscaping to minimize erosion. You can check out the new pics and compare them to the old. I went with 60 mil in the end and glad that I did, that stuff is tough. The pond is 52 feet long and around 10,000 gallons. It was the hardest project I ever took on in my life and had to get help in the end. I love it though so it's worth it. I'm really enjoying the overflow and automatic fill valve.

Closing thoughts since this will be my final post here.

1. I would recommend consulting a professional before diving into a project like this. As much as you read about it in books, youtube videos and the internet, it's a whole new ballgame once you're in the hole and things pop up that you're not going to expect.

2. Mosquito fish rule! We had problems with mosquitos and other biting nasties BEFORE there was a drop of water in the pond. Now we can comfortably walk around with short sleeves and shorts and not get bit up.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Best of luck with your pond projects and a special cheers to my fellow pond newbies out there. Take time to plan out your strategy.

Attachments

• IMG_2829.JPG
    IMG_2829.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_2826.JPG
    IMG_2826.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 207
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Digging through clay: I feel you! I'm in GA and the clay is basically orange concrete. No fun to dig!

By the way, what did you do when you hit tree roots? Dig around them and form the liner around the roots? Or did you cut the roots out and trust that the tree will be fine? I have two large trees in my yard and I'm sure I'll run into a few roots.

Reaction score
Country
United States
BIG UPDATE:

Definitely worth all the trouble, money and hard work. Lots of fish and frogs, 60mil EPDM.

Attachments

• IMG_4002.JPG
    IMG_4002.JPG
    416 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_4005.JPG
    IMG_4005.JPG
    370.8 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_4007.JPG
    IMG_4007.JPG
    403.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_4008.JPG
    IMG_4008.JPG
    398.9 KB · Views: 253
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would also like to add that these pictures were taken AFTER a near direct hit from category 1 Hurricane Hermine. No problems to speak of but I did put 22 extra bags of topsoil to the lower part of the pond to reinforce a wall that I thought could be a weak point before the storm hit.

This picture shows the wall in question that I was concerned about. See the two red arrows.

Attachments

• IMG_4008-2.jpg
    IMG_4008-2.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
And to any pond newbies out there don't forget your overflow. it is of vital importance with torrential rain storms.

Attachments

• IMG_4008-3.jpg
    IMG_4008-3.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 212

Ask a Question