Best pond liner to go with?

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Joe113 Very nice! Do you have any form of filtration or aeration for the pond?

Thanks! No mechanical filtration or aeration at all except for lots of plants with a very heavy emphasis on hornwart. They do the job of cleaning the water. I have tilapia, sunfish, mosquito fish and tadpoles, no problem. I do have an automatic fill valve on it which is great and doesn't need electricity.

Forgot to mention there are also plenty of snails to keep it clean. The water is pretty much crystal clear now but was foggy for the first month.

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Joe113 You're going to have to keep us up-dated with pictures as the seasons change (but then, you're probably like me, "what seasons?" LOL!). The transformation in just this short period is amazing!

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Joe113 You're going to have to keep us up-dated with pictures as the seasons change (but then, you're probably like me, "what seasons?" LOL!). The transformation in just this short period is amazing!

Indeed, LOL, our winters are mild and my fish should be active during the cooler months. Thanks and I will keep you all updated! Bass next spring.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Joe113 Oh, and in case this hasn't come up yet, be on the lookout for furry critters going after the fish.......

Nope, I won't be eating them (the fish) and there's no fishing allowed, LOL.

About the furry creatures, nothing yet. Our property is fenced in. That's not to say a coon can't climb the fence if he really wanted to but we don't even have coons messing with our garage here. The only thing I've seen so far are crows. We had hardly any rain this past July and the crows would come by and drink and cool down but they used the overflow area to do it. I was watering the grass around the pond every day during this dry period.

Here's one story though: I had ordered 40 bullfrog tadpoles from online. I'm not going to say who exactly because they corrected the order BUT when I received the tadpoles I noticed that they didn't look anything like bullfrog pollywogs. In fact, you could see right through them and they were very small. The scientific name was pasted on the bag and I didn't recognize it so I figured I had better run it though Google before I just run up the hill and dump them in. Good thing I did because they turned out to be AFRICAN CLAWED FROGS. I dodged a bullet on that one as they would have completed destroyed the ecosystem I was working so hard to create. The company did send me the right order the second time and I donated the African clawed frogs to the local pet store here who readily accepted them. I'm very careful with what I put in. If I were a big fan of African clawed frogs it wouldn't be a problem but I'm trying to keep Invasive creatures like that out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
The scientific name was pasted on the bag and I didn't recognize it so I figured I had better run it though Google before I just run up the hill and dump them in. Good thing I did because they turned out to be AFRICAN CLAWED FROGS. I dodged a bullet on that one as they would have completed destroyed the ecosystem I was working so hard to create.
Good catch, we have to be more careful about what we put into our outdoor ponds because escapees are an inevitability, especially in states without "hard freezes" in the winter. I'm in Michigan where it's not as big a problem, but still people are catching Pacu out of the Great Lakes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks,I'll check that out!

Here's where my confusion comes in. This guy easily sticks a pen through EPDM but shows the RPE to be much stronger. I also have a larger pond which he says he wouldn't even consider EPDM. ???

Hello, I just saw this video and I have the same questions as you regarding pond liners. Which one did you end up going with?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Lynnley223 Hello and welcome!

This is an old thread and it doesn’t look like the OP has posted anything since 2017. Maybe you could start a new thread asking for this info. It might be less confusing for you to follow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
could it really last that long?
YES IT COULD LAST THAT LONG. UV LIGHT AND HEAT ARE ITS ENEMY buried and no light or heat getting to it and its like digging up an old tire. almost exactly as it was buried. The live tree roots are an issue for all liners concrete cloth is highly recommended. and a 8 oz or 12 oz underlayment at a min. But your sloped walls are not the recommended construction unless you don't mind looking at liner. shelves and boulders and or rock is the way to go after the liner is covered in fabric again blocking the uv light and rocks from the liner

Ask a Question