addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep it is a good thing to have, esp when something happens and you need keep a watch on the levels.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
Well It's been 24 hours since the massive water change and so far the fishies are all alive and doing good. Got the preformed liner but now I have to figure out how to hide it above ground with very little rock..I was going to try and hide some with plants but they're all sun scorched now.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you have those cheap large barrels or clean 5 gallon buckets put you water in there close to the pond and let it warm up and then add it to your pond .I had the same thing happen last night ,not sure how the hose got out of the filter and the lid got off it could have been an animal or deer .They have a large trough of water I give them 2 times a day so don't think they would do that .The water in the buckets gets warm fast so that should help with the temps .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The best thing I use when refilling is put it on a lower flow and put on one of those water filters they use on houses that have wells and I use the charcoal filter in it ,One side hooks to my hose and then I have a short 5 foot long hose on the other side and let it run slow into the pond .I use that filter thing all the time it works great .Connect to the hose coming from my pump to my filter and stick it inside the tank water drains from it into the filter box and then back to the pond it goes

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
sissy said:
The best thing I use when refilling is put it on a lower flow and put on one of those water filters they use on houses that have wells and I use the charcoal filter in it ,One side hooks to my hose and then I have a short 5 foot long hose on the other side and let it run slow into the pond .I use that filter thing all the time it works great .Connect to the hose coming from my pump to my filter and stick it inside the tank water drains from it into the filter box and then back to the pond it goes

Good idea! I'm going to try that just for refilling after loss from evaporation.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
Finally started the second pond so I can move the fish quickly if anything happens again. Made a quick video of what I've got going so far.

[ame]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
where did you get all those neat shaped stones .They look cut with rounded edges

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
sissy said:
where did you get all those neat shaped stones .They look cut with rounded edges

I can thank My Mother-in-law for those, I guess they have been collecting them out of the river for years when they found one they liked for various rock gardens in the yard. Now they are moving and said I could have what I wanted so they wouldn't have to move them again or leave them.

I guess the flat edges are from sitting at the waters edge for so long. We still have more to put around but can only get a little at a time since it's been so hot outside. The ones on the lower pond are cut for stepping stones and are really recycled rubber til I can get enough real flat rock.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
lucky you and they got some great stones then .Wish I could find something like it .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice pond and fishes. Would not have guessed those lower rocks were rubber. I can see where they would make nice comfy stepping stones:cool:

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
It happened again! Almost exactly a year to the day later, woke up to an almost drained pond. Last night when My Wife was cleaning filters and I was moving rocks around the waterfall one of us knocked a hose loose, luckily this spring I made a deep end and left the pumps on the shallow end so they still had about 10 inches of water left.

Put chlorine stuff in so now I'm refilling slowly and stole some of the poor goldies water from the above ground pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Bummer in the summer Neo! Guess you will be making sure that hose is clamped down good from now on. Glad it didn't drain the whole pond and you just need to put more water in. Good idea using some of the goldies water so not so much of a shock w/ all that new water.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
Thanks, it's been a chaotic morning already. The pond is about half full now so I may wait til tomorrow morning to fill the rest. I'm not sure if the chlorine stuff will still work tomorrow though when putting more in.

Reaction score
glad to hear it looks like things are working out right and coming along good...i had that happen to me once before and had thought i had a leak but all worked out

Ask a Question