Bird poo bombings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
After finding lots of bird poo blobs in and around my pond I finally witnessed the culprit. We have common grackles around here and I seem to have a nesting pair. I have now seen this bird on half a dozen occasions fly to the pond with a blob of bird poo in its beak and deposit in my pond! Sometimes he just flys over and drops it in the pond and other times lands on the edge of the pond and drops it in or on the rocks around the edge. We are talking 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch diameter blobs of poo. How strange!!!! After reading up on this it seems it is common practice for grackles to deposit their youngs poo in bodies of water, swimming pools etc. The only good thing is the poo does not disintegrate when its in the water, so I can scoop it out. But it is making a mess when its on the rocks and drys there. :mad:
Nothing I can do I guess but keep scooping it out. Hope they dont have their next brood around here!!!
I know they are just doing their natural behavior but its getting very annoying. Just waiting for it to land on me while i'm out there working on the pond! :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Weird! Why water, I wonder? I'm sure there's a reason but that one is just strange!

Takes it away from the nest ad puts it in the water perhaps to deter preditors ould be my guess Lisa

Dave ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Yes it is strange. I guess the reason behind it being that water and streams and such would carry away the signs of the nesting site.
Smart birds but certainly a pain in the rear for me!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
We have birds that gather in towns on power lines. They are not scared of traffic noise. Not seen too much in neighborhoods. Hundreds and hundreds during certain times of the year. They are like a plague. Blackish birds that will split their tail feathers. Seem seasonal. These birds come from hell. One time we parked under a water oak where dozens where roasting. In fact every oak in the area was filled with them. When we returned to our car after dinner it was like something out of a sick comedy. Our car was a poo mobile. Had to go straight to a car wash. Made us gag......:rage:

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yucky poo Lou. Did you eat those birds after they were done roasting..............yep that's what you posted up there.............never let a free meal pass you buy is my motto :LOL:

Ask a Question