Black tiny eggs on Hydrocharis morsus-ranae (European frogbit)

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Hi everyone :)
This year I put a pond on my terrace for the first time. I bought aquatic plants from a local aquatic plant grower. Among other plants, I bought European frogbit. As you probably know, it grows very intensively and quickly, so I separate the excess to the side in glass bowls for reserve (and also for decoration :p).

Today I saw that some small, black eggs appeared in groups on the frogbit that I keep especially as a surplus and reserve.

Does anyone know what kind of eggs they are? I have attached the pictures.

IMG_20230713_104855.jpg
IMG_20230713_104932.jpg
IMG_20230713_110302.jpg
IMG_20230713_110402.jpg
IMG_20230713_110539.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the answer :)
At first, I also thought they were snail eggs, but then I did a little Google research and saw that snail eggs are more slimy and floating (kind of like mini-frog eggs). These eggs are hard and strongly stuck to the plant. They resemble miniature chia seeds to me (in terms of hardness). Is it possible for the stink bug to lay its eggs on aquatic plants? because stink bug eggs are black and hard, like these....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the answer :)
At first, I also thought they were snail eggs, but then I did a little Google research and saw that snail eggs are more slimy and floating (kind of like mini-frog eggs). These eggs are hard and strongly stuck to the plant. They resemble miniature chia seeds to me (in terms of hardness). Is it possible for the stink bug to lay its eggs on aquatic plants? because stink bug eggs are black and hard, like these....
I have the same exact eggs on some of my lily pads....some kind of insect probably..

Ask a Question