Boat Pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live on a tidal creek in New Jersey (just outside of Philadelphia). I’ve been contemplating a wildlife pond to attract some amphibians, but putting in a pond is way at the bottom of “the list”. A couple of weeks ago, an abandoned boat appeared on the creek. I started thinking about a floating water garden - filling the boat with water and water plants and tying it off to one of our trees so it doesn’t float away. I’ve seen similar projects on this website, but nothing exactly the same. Unfortunately, I know very little about ponds and frogs. Would frogs be able to get into the boat to lay eggs? Maybe a gang plank connected to land would help? Would this need a filter or would the plants do enough to support frog eggs and tadpoles? I’m looking for any resources or ideas you may have.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You will need to check the registration numbers on the boat to make sure it is not on the stolen list.I remember whn my dads boat was stolen and same thing people said it just floated up by their house and thought they could keep it .They were lucky the police did not pursue charges .He lived in NJ but used to take his boat up to PA where they had a house outside Berwick PA

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there any reason you can't just trim the existing wetland foliage to make for a better wildlife viewing area?
Frogs need still water to lay their eggs, and so they won’t lay them in the creek.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The numbers were deliberately scratched off. I did report it to the township but they never came out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw that one! The big difference was that he had his on land and I want mine to float.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome Nora!

Maybe anchor it well, build some sort of ramps so the frogs etc can get up into the boat. Not sure how you would filter it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What a fun idea! I posted a picture a while back when someone else asked this question - a local pond store near us did exactly as you suggested. The store backs up to a waterway and they have the boat anchored and filled with water and water plants. I don't know if they filtered the water at all - I wasn't paying that close of attention. But I do know their boat is really low in the water - the water outside of the boat is probably within 8 or 10 inches of the top of the boat. Not sure if it was just the water on the inside that sunk it that low in the water or not. Anyway, with the edge that close to the water, I'm sure frogs could hop right in. I'll see if I can find the photo!

We had someone else posting about a boat pond that they built on land - I'll see if I can find that post.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here's another:

Ask a Question