BOG and Filter

Reaction score
Which is a better setup...... I am going to have two barrel filters (mechanical and Bio} and a bog. Do i need to pump unfiltered water directly into the bog parallel with the filters and let it overflow back into the pond from each..... Or should I pump into the Filters and then flow into Bog and then flow into pond, I would think there is alot of room for plugging and Overflow this way...... Also I have read that my Mechanical should flow into Bio... But I also saw that barrels should be tied parallel as well........ I know there are hundreds of different setups.... can someone clarify what is best for them... pond will roughly be 9x14x3ish.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Hi,

I've got a similar setup at the moment.

Two barrels : The first is a vortex with brushes on top of it, amd the second is a bio filter. The feed for the bog garden is taken at the input to the biofilter.

This works ok - the brushes trap a *lot* of rubbish, but it doesn't clean it enough. That means a lot of particles go into the bog garden, and are starting to silt it up.

I'm not rethinking the whole setup, and to avoiding the silting problem i'm going to take the bog garden feed from the output of the biofilter. I'm probably going to use a gravel filter instead of the vortex.

Hope this helps.

cheers,

Andy.

Reaction score
I'm going to stick with my comments from the other post. You should have a mechanical filter before a biological filter. If you take dirty water straight from the pond and run it into a biofilter, you're going to gunk it all up, and will not have an optimum environment for the bacteria to do their job. That is why, for example, in an aquarium filter or store bought pond filter, mechanical filtration always comes before biofiltration. Regarding what I said about not mechanically filtering the water before it goes into a big, I guess I see the others point where it could clog up the bog, if you have a dirty pond. I do not get much debris in mine so I have not had any clogging issues.

Ask a Question