Bog filter hookup when using 4" bottom drain with external pump

Reaction score
Country
United States
I understand your dilemma.

I have a pool pump that has a basket that is a pain to clean out, although I don't need to do it very often. But when I do, it's a hassle getting the air bubble out of the top of the clear plastic dome.

It's no fun cleaning any filter.

I don't use an external pump or have a bottom drain.
There are some here that do and I hope they can chime in with their experience.
Someone must have the same problem.
Thank you and everyone here for all the input. I am always hoping to make my workload less with the pond. There is much knowledge here and I hope to learn more from everyone. Everyone seems nice and are really trying to help each other.
It’s not a good idea to send any solids you don’t absolutely have to into the bottom of a bog. Yes, the idea is that it will settle out, but it can also get stuck in your gravel and prematurely clog your filter.

That’s especially true when you purée the solids with a pump ahead of the bog.

If you sent a whole leaf into the centipede, sure, it’ll quickly settle and you could get it later with a trash pump in the snorkel. If you chop that leaf into a million pieces with an impeller, it’s not going to settle so quickly and much of it is going to end up in the gravel.

Maybe if you build a huge bog fed by a small pump so that flow is very slow you’ll get better performance. But if your main concern is cleaning your leaf trap too often, there are several other ways to solve that. Sending the crud to the bottom of a bog is the last on that list… if it makes the list at all. Just an overall poor design choice.
Good points! It's not leaves I get into the strainer basket it is Alge, fish poop, etc. Leaves generally end up in my skimmer which is no big deal. The little stuff that gets into the strainer basket of the main pump though quickly clogs up the standard pump so that's why I thought a SAER Heavy Duty Centrifugal Water Pump (trash pump) which is designed to handle solids by passing them thru and not chopping them up (according to the manufacturer) might be the best way.

The Serpentine is supposed to slow the flow of the water so solids fall back and stay in the Serpentine where you suck them out through the Snorkel. Either way there will always be a need to clean out something, its a pond with some big Koi in it. I believe that the bog filter over time will do a better job of preventing the amount of stuff generated by better improving the condition of the water anyway. The Evolution Aqua Eazy Pod filter automatically cleans itself every 3 days but if the pre-pump filter basket does not send it to the Eazy Pod because its clogged it can't expel it. With a bog filter I don't even think I will need the Eazy Pod filter anymore.

Thanks! I look forward to seeing your 9000 gallon pond as it progresses. Please post pics when available.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you have received the same answer from 4 different members here and you still want to try a trash pump so go for it give it a shot !!!!!!!!!!! maybe you'll teach us something.

But i am almost certain there is no such animal and an aquascapes trash / ejector pump

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd alsp take a look at how to dress the edges of the pond and how to hide the liner. If your going to try and teach others this process on instagram

Reaction score
Country
United States
you have received the same answer from 4 different members here and you still want to try a trash pump so go for it give it a shot !!!!!!!!!!! maybe you'll teach us something.

But i am almost certain there is no such animal and an aquascapes trash / ejector pump
Nice guy GBDUDD!

Maybe you should read what I said.

First, I NEVER said anything about an "Aquascape trash/ ejector pump" so you are right, THERE IS NO SUCH ANIMAL!

Second "4 members HAVE NOT given me the "same answer" and in fact 1 of them told me about using a "trash pump as an option and others have been very helpful and have had great input.

Third, thank you for your approval to "give it a shot".

Forth, on your second bullshit rant, you need to learn how to spell. Also is not spelled ALSP! AND I do not teach people how to build ponds on Instagram or anywhere else for that matter and that video was before the pond was done.

And finally, you obviously are so smart (or is that "smartass") that I doubt that ANYONE could ever teach you ANYTHING!

There is always one asshole jerk in the bunch and that would be YOU!!

To the many friendly members that gave me input, THANK YOU & GOOD BYE!

Ok moderators close my account because I'm DONE with this stupid worthless asshole GBDUDD!!!

"The friendliest pond forum on the net" MY ASS!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I stepped on someone's ego, and yes you got the same feedback over and over . call me as you'd like don't care if you buy it or not it's for those who come in down the road with the same ideas . that we try to help.

Good luck

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well ain’t that special. The truth isn’t always well received.

For those who may be reading this thread for actual information, the centipede is NOT for settlement as the OP claims. It’s to disperse the water over the whole surface of the bog bottom. You won’t get settlement where you have constant water flow… which seems obvious but maybe not to everyone.

Also, don’t pump from a bottom drain to your bog - it’s not that kind of filter. ESPECIALLY if you are struggling to keep a filter basket clean. Also maybe consider feeding your fish less if you’re getting that much fish poop in a filter. Or maybe you have too many fish. Or you feed them too much… lots of possibilities. Anyway, let the poop settle, skim the leaves, pump from the skimmer box… easy peasy. Or - reinvent the wheel and hope for the best.

For an easier pond to manage, consider ditching the bottom drain completely. It’s an option; not a necessity.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would also add - @GBBUDD IS a nice guy AND a skilled and knowledgeable pond builder who’s gonna tell it like it is. And make lots of typos.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I’m also a bit surprised this is a business owner who talks to folks he doesn’t even know like this. I think I’d be looking to unlink my Instagram so my potential customers don’t catch me behaving badly on the internet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
G
I’m also a bit surprised this is a business owner who talks to folks he doesn’t even know like this. I think I’d be looking to unlink my Instagram so my potential customers don’t catch me behaving badly on the internet.
i have to admit to being more than mildly entertained reading this thread play out. I feel guilty about it tho.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It’s always interesting to see a dramatic flounce. But here’s a tip for the OP - it’s not an airport- no need to announce your departure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Delete The post

If they come for advice and react in that manner . then they should not have a voice.. That's the problem with the internet anyone can have a Tantrum and it gets pup out to the town crier.

I guess IT'S my fault , I was not coddling and holding hands and saying further that there is no the bog SPECIFICATION that MUST be 20 feet a 1/4" long 6 '- 3" deep. As we have said here time and again it's the principles. that work more so then this will and that won't . My apologies for not taking it further and not sugar coating it . I WILL NEVER say a pond looks great that looks like a plastic bag thrown into a hole . That's why I'm here to help others learn the simple tricks and build something they can be proud to show off .

Thanks for the backup @Lisak1

He didn't like the response on his other post either that a 1 1/2" line was not going to do the job of pushing 10,000 gph

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
GBBUDD and others, dont think you arent appreciated. I am very lucky so much good information and advice is freely given here! Bad advice can be very expensive and time consuming.

Ask a Question