addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So if your outlet is large enough the only issue would be the water takes less time to pass through the bog?
Not less time flowing through. I made the mistake equal size into and out. Not even a bog. Had to double the out it overflowed.

The best sort of simple reason the water under pressure going in , going out it is just a flow,. They never are equal.

My outs are double the ins

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ok awesome, my inflow is a 1 inch pump hose (only thing available locally) to a 2 inch manifold. And my outlet is about 5 ish inchs to a 4 inch pipe (I cut down an elbow to make it shorter).

I'm taking photos so I'll post a progress report once it's up, running and covered with plants :) Thanks again for the advice!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
One last question lol, Im able to hide all the piping except the last couple inchs of the interior of the outlet PVC... Would you feel comfortable spray painting it black and letting it cure? Googleing it didn't give strait answers and I don't want to hurt my Goldies

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
but say if the root mass expands,

You are correct... mostly. Those expanding roots can also block water flow and you might find your bog emptying out the back side. My best suggestion would be to keep the gravel low the first year so you can see what happens. It will settle some and then you can always add more. Don't be like me and find yourself shoveling out the excess!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One last question lol, Im able to hide all the piping except the last couple inchs of the interior of the outlet PVC... Would you feel comfortable spray painting it black and letting it cure? Googleing it didn't give strait answers and I don't want to hurt my Goldies
I have used the plastic spray paint still looking decent years later.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You are correct... mostly. Those expanding roots can also block water flow and you might find your bog emptying out the back side. My best suggestion would be to keep the gravel low the first year so you can see what happens. It will settle some and then you can always add more. Don't be like me and find yourself shoveling out the excess!
I had to raise my back edge by 3ish inches ow over flow, front edge just trickled back into the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The mass of roots is exactly what we are looking for it does many different functions.

1. if fills the gaps and creates a very fine filter one that will not clog permanently. Nature finds the p[ath of least resistance and by pumping to the bottom your making a pressurized vat basically. As one area does start to clog the pressure builds elsewhere flushing out an area for the water to flow.
2. The plant roots do what no man made equipment can do it takes compounds out of the water column that creates food for algae.
3. the fine roots also grab onto the partials making for clear waters.
4. instead of man made filters the bog gives home to microbes and insects, worms and all the little buggers that call fish waste Caviar. That why i like the matrix bogs not only does it create caves for these critters to live it also helps the solids in the water separate and fall to the floor where they are devoured.
5. I'll take looking at some obedient flowers or elephant ear growing in the bog. Over looking at a plastic 3 foot x 5 foot tall plastic ball with hoses sticking out of it anyday
6. ALMOST FORGOT THERES A PERFECT OPORTUNITY TO HAVE A WATER FALL COMING OUT OF THE BOG

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Alright! I'm one step closer to making my perfect pond.

One more question :) I have a perforated bag over my pump at the moment. My theory was that the baby goldfish would not get sucked in..

I'm cleaning algae off it every couple days, and I know the pump could just bring it through my bog but I'm hesitant to take it off because I've grown strangely attached to my baby goldfish. Ideas?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a external pump, but the draw was strong. What I did was drill a ton of 1/4 inch holes in a 5 gallon bucket put it over the pipes drawing water. That way no one spot was a suck in the fry drawing strength. Never found any fry in the leaf basket afterwards.

Maybe something of that sort over your pump. Or add a prefitler like made by matala.

Matala USA EZ BIO Core Pump Pre-Filter Size: 20 Double - Up to 3400 GPH​

Ask a Question